Camera Help

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
hunterncruse
I am smitten with my van

Camera Help

Post by hunterncruse »

Ok I am looking to buy a good camera. I really don't want to spend over $500. I would like to stay lower than that. I want a camera that is good for taking all kinds of photos. Any ideas please help
Liz

Darrel: "People who think they know everything piss off those of us that do."

Fire Cakes
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Camera Help

Post by Fire Cakes »

hunterncruse wrote:Ok I am looking to buy a good camera. I really don't want to spend over $500. I would like to stay lower than that. I want a camera that is good for taking all kinds of photos. Any ideas please help
dejavu Zam? :D

OMG all I can do is laugh.............we went through this with one particular member..........gave the member lots of suggestions and help but nothing was taken seriously. Finally after a year plus this member did buy a camera.

With that being said I know that the suggestions you get you will take to heart and value. \:D/
Gearing up for another great camping season :) Camper is re packed and ready to roll.

The 2012 camping season has begun!!!!!!!!
Camping Trip Count for 2011 - 2
Camping Nights Count for 2011 - 4

thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

At $500 you can get pretty much anything just go into a good camera shop not best buy and ask questions they will show you the ropes. You can even get an entry level DSLR for that kind money - if you have a photo hobby in mind - but a nice point and shoot with a large zoom will also be in play. My question to you - do you want an easily portable camera that takes nice photos? Or a large camera that you have to dig out, and takes great photos with additional expensive options like large zooms, flashes etc. If your first digital cam I would look for a $200-$300 price point and look at Canon, Nikon, Kodak - also check out http://www.cnet.com for great reviews.
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

I have Always bought Cannon Shure-Shots, 35 mil and digital...... Because they are soo easy to use, and are "user friendly" when you decide to move up to the advanced functions.... I own 2 digitals, and 3 35mil film right now.

Highly Recommended.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Fire Cakes wrote:
hunterncruse wrote:Ok I am looking to buy a good camera. I really don't want to spend over $500. I would like to stay lower than that. I want a camera that is good for taking all kinds of photos. Any ideas please help
dejavu Zam? :D

OMG all I can do is laugh..........

It's hilarious.....

I take quite a bit of pic's and have owned several p/s cameras ( point and shoot ) I do not have a DSLR so I can't offer advice on those and I doubt thats what you are probably looking for atm.

Its been mentioned already but portability is a big factor in a p/s, both my daughters have tiny little Canon's ( can't remember the model ) but they are the size of a small cig packet which is great because they can fit in a pant or shirt pocket and are so easy to carry they don't have all the bells and whistles BUT they are great for group pics with friends and such.

My most recent digi cam is a Canon Powershot S5IS ( which has since been discontinued ) but the reason I mention it is that it has certain features which for me make it a handy camera to have such as...
12x optical zoom lense ( this is important if you plan on taking pics of subjects further away than normal, like at a football game ) don't confuse digital zoom with optical zoom its a different thing.
It has a fully rotatable viewing screen which allows me to put the camera into any position and still be able to look at the viewing screen to see what the camera is capturing ( a great option for taking pics of my van )
Ability to add different lenses such as telephoto, macro, wide angle, to allow me different options to shoot with.
Video capture, this camera has awesome video capture. If you want you're camera to double as a vid cam then look for this option as well.

A few other considerations are... do you want to take night-time pics? can an additional flash be added? the more questions you ask the more it can get confusing,lol but take heart, you will soon find what you need :cheers:

Here are a couple of good sites to check for reviews, and you really should spend a little time researching what type of camera will best suit you're needs.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

just don't ask gary for help. :poke:
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Kidhauler wrote:just don't ask gary for help. :poke:
:muhaha: :muhaha:
a response may be a long time coming....

They discontinued the Canon Powershot S5IS? I"ve got a Canon S3IS, which I like a lot. My daughter has the Canon Powershot S5IS, which she does some amazing shots with. She carries it everywhere. She was shooting picks while we were waiting for her car's safety inspection last weekend. She's a compulsive shutterbug. Maybe Canon has an even better model out there now, but I don't know, for the price the S5IS was a kick ass camera.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
hunterncruse
I am smitten with my van

Post by hunterncruse »

I appreciate everything so far I will def go to the sites listed and look more. I have a $200 kodak that is ok for the normal person but I want amazing pics. I want to take a picture of a weird bug on the ground and be able to get good detail. I also want good pictures of my brother playing his last year of high school football :cry: I don't care about size. I actually like the big cameras. Can't get lost as easily, lol.
Liz

thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

I think you will find that the fantastic shots are more because of the photographer than the camera. A good camera does help though.

this was shot with a Canon Rebel XT digital SLR

These were shot with a Canon Powershot A560 ($150 digital point and shoot)

I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

Topic author
hunterncruse
I am smitten with my van

Post by hunterncruse »

I so appreciate all of the input and I did take it to heart. I went and bought a canon rebel xs. Didn't get to play with it yet but Darrel of course like everything else played first. Go figure, lol. So he was pretty amazed with it so far. He said hes scared to use it lol. It's really complicated but so many good reviews
Liz

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

hunterncruse wrote:I so appreciate all of the input and I did take it to heart. I went and bought a canon rebel xs. Didn't get to play with it yet but Darrel of course like everything else played first. Go figure, lol. So he was pretty amazed with it so far. He said hes scared to use it lol. It's really complicated but so many good reviews

You just about cannot go wrong with one of the digital rebels, they are fantastic cameras and every time Canon upgrades them they just get better. It helps that they use some of the same components (like the processors) from the high end EOS digital SLRs. Plus, all of the electronic focus EOS lenses can be used on them as well.

That was one of the deciding factors when I bought my wife the Rebel XT. She already had a Canon EOS film camera and 4 or 5 lenses. So I only had to buy the camera body when I get her the DSLR.

We will expect to see some van pics pretty soon now.... hurry up!
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Is that butterfly on a chocolate covered tree?

Seriously it looks like it's chillin on top of one of those mccain deep and delicious frozen cakes.

I'm hungry now. :tonqe:
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Fire Cakes
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Fire Cakes »

justice wrote:
We will expect to see some van pics pretty soon now.... hurry up!
They are one of the outcasts that don't have a van..........they in fact have never owned one. They came to NECO with us one year when there was an open spot and have been hooked to this group.

Great job with the camera purchase and you didn't even wait a year to get one. LMAO
Gearing up for another great camping season :) Camper is re packed and ready to roll.

The 2012 camping season has begun!!!!!!!!
Camping Trip Count for 2011 - 2
Camping Nights Count for 2011 - 4

Topic author
hunterncruse
I am smitten with my van

Post by hunterncruse »

Yeah sorry Im a jeep lover lmao. Please don't kick me off now. I didn't say any bad words. Anyways Lynne is right we never owned a van just had a ton of fun at NECO with everyone and then I wanted to keep in touch. I find that on this forum its like extended family. Same on the cnyjeep.org forum. We are going up to the adirondacks next weekend and I really wanted a good camera to take pictures. I will have to post some when I get a chance. Hopefully I can figure the camera out before then.
Liz