Hello from Milwaukee

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
icebrrg3rd
I am smitten with my van

Hello from Milwaukee

Post by icebrrg3rd »

Well, found your site a week ago, and figured I'd say "Hi"

Got a 91 shorty RWD that was sold as a cargo but was customized, so it kinda is bare-bone but I like it. No extra trim, painted bumpers, etc. Spent some (all?) of it's life in Florida til last November, when the previous previous owner brought it up north. I got it from a guy who had it about three months but wanted a pickup. So I got a (almost) rust-free van! The only rust is some surface rust on the engine cradle and some on the hitch. All the panels are SOLID! No real dents, just little door dings and nicks, and peeling clear coat on the roof (boo!). But all in all, a nice little van. Since getting it, I've peeled off the tint from the windows (a lovely shade of purple), removed a poorly spliced in alarm, tore the steering column apart to tighten the 4 loose bolts on the tilt, added my "custom" steering wheel, fixed the slider door handle, replaced the left rear door handle, added running boards, put rally wheels from a 2WD pickup on, and replace a headlight. Lots more planned, and hopefully will be a V8 soon. But enough talk, here's a few pics.

Some when I first got it:

And the new steering wheel. Been in every Chevy I've owned. Got it in 89 for my 80 Camaro, then a 92 S-10, a 93 G20, now a 91 Astro!

And with the wheels and running board

More pics as I modify it, for now I'm just enjoying the van.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim XJ650, Black & Green, 64k miles
83 Yamaha Venture 1200cc, White, 74k miles
91 Chevy Astro 2WD, 4.3L, Maroon, 229k miles
00 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8L, Blue, 145k miles

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Hello from Milwaukee

Post by mdmead »

Welcome Andrew!

Nice looking little conversion van you have there!

No matter what direction you take your van, you will find help and like-minded folks here.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Welcome to ASV!
another shorty beautiful paint (unlike mine) I'm green with envy :D
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Welcome to the site. That's a nice shorty. If I didn't need the extra room I'd own a shorty.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

hello and welcome. I now live Welches Oregon, right between Portland and Mt. Hood, but I am a Wisconsin native. I grew up in West Bend and lived in Milwaukee for a couple years, I know right where that church is in the lower pic of your van, I used to ride my bmx/bike in that area a lot. you will find this sit very helpful, i dig the new wheels too!
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Topic author
icebrrg3rd
I am smitten with my van

Post by icebrrg3rd »

Thanks for the welcome.

kings, as for the paint, it looks good in the pictures. Up close, tons of little scratches, no clear coat on the roof, bubbling clearcoat on the hood, needs a good re-do. But no rust means little prep before repainting.

Smilie, I'd have rather had an ext, but the shorty is growing on me, looks much more sporty.

Gnarli, yeah, did the same wheel treatment to my G20. So you knew the area? Not sure of when you were in the area, but it probably has changed. I grew up in the suburbs (New Berlin, when it was still more farm than city), so when we moved out here it took me a while to get used to it. Someday I will move where it's more open.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim XJ650, Black & Green, 64k miles
83 Yamaha Venture 1200cc, White, 74k miles
91 Chevy Astro 2WD, 4.3L, Maroon, 229k miles
00 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8L, Blue, 145k miles