Need some help

Topic author
astrogus
I am smitten with my van

Need some help

Post by astrogus »

I have a 1997 Astro 160k on the clock, the fuel pump went out recently so i changed it, since then my van has been running like crap. Only at idle though runs fine when driving, but at idle with the a/c on it smells like fireworks were lite off in my van lol and feels like my dash is gonna come apart. I ran the codes and came up with multiple cylinder misfires, so i assumed that the plugs got fouled from spraying starting fluid in the TB to make sure the fuel pump was bad. I changed the plugs 1 of the 6 was black as night the others were fine, but after changing the plugs it didnt do anything for the rough idle. My van is running extremely rich and blows black smoke when reved up which is to much fuel to the engine correct? My guess is that i might have gotten something in the fuel line when changing the pump, or something else has gone wrong with the central port injection ( spider ) clogging one or more of the injectors??? It has new wires, cap, rotor, plugs, i've tried seafoam and lucas injector cleaners with no success. Do you guys think im on the right track? Or could it be something else? Im just puzzled as to how awesome it ran until the fuel pump went out and was changed. Thanks in advance guys, i just dont wanna buy another spider if it could be something else there pretty pricey. Todd
1997 Astro LS 152k

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Need some help

Post by Smiliesafari »

Sounds like the fuel pressure regulator has gone bad. A black spark plug indicates a rich mixture.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
astrogus
I am smitten with my van

Post by astrogus »

Took the intake manifold off today and did some snooping around there was fuel all over the plenum, i found #4 injector was cracked and squirting fuel inside the intake cover. I replaced the spider with the new updated one and my problems are fixed.
1997 Astro LS 152k

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Awesome! :bounce:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy