Back in the saddle...

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
kingbee
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Back in the saddle...

Post by kingbee »

I'm back to driving an Astro again! Found a super clean, rust-free 2005 about 2 hours from where I live. Looked at it, liked it, bought it.

Van details: 2005, 111,000 miles. Somewhat high for the year, but not that high in an absolute sense. I generally buy vehicles at around the 100k mark so the mileage doesn't particularly bother me. The best part is that it's rust free, unusual for around here (Upper Peninsula of Michigan). This van was originally from the Davenport, Iowa area; maybe they don't use much, or any, salt there.

Leather seating, with the split reclining rear benches. AWD, of course. No tow package, and 3.42 gears, which bummed me a little at first, but I'm okay with it because I really don't tow anything heavy- 2 or 3 motorcycles on a small utility trailer, 1500 lbs. max. And not all that often, or very far. No travel trailers, big boats, or toy haulers. So 3.42s will be fine I'm sure. Tires are Bridgestone Dueller H/ts in great shape. Brakes front & rear just done, as well as idlers and R/F wheel bearing. Everything works, no stains, smells, etc. Only defect: small crack in windshield, which looks like it started at a stone chip, and which will no doubt get bigger. So maybe by fall I'm replacing the 'shield. Oh well.

Got it for $5500. For a van that probably sold for 25k 5 years ago.

In my intro post, I stated that I was looking for a '96 - '98, for the old style AWD system, but finding one that old that didn't have a million miles, and/or terminal cancer, is just about impossible around here. So I took a chance on a newer one, and if the AWD breaks, I'll fix it.

First order of business was to bring maintenance up to date. Changed engine oil, front diff oil, and transfer case fluid. The van seems to have been well maintained- the fluid I drained out of the TC was just as purty a blue as what I pumped back in. Front diff oil looked good too- it seems the POs kept up with servicing it.

Haven't done the rear diff yet (ordered a cover gasket) or the tranny (will do it when I install a cooler- soon). The trans fluid is also nice and clean looking, with no burnt smell. We've all heard the old wive's tales about how you shouldn't service an auto trans with high mileage, blah blah blah... Well, I used to think that was baloney but I've twice had transmissions fail after servicing. May have been coincidence, and admittedly both trannys had been neglected and run way, way past their service time, but I'm still a little gun shy. In the case of this one though, I'm going to do it because the fluid looks so clean I'm sure that the previous services were done. No way this ATF has 111k on it.

Van had no trailer hitch, so I'll be adding one soon, and a transmission cooler at the same time. After that will come some stiffer shocks, probably ranchos. Eventually a 2" lift, and slightly larger tires.

The primary use of the van is as a work truck. I'm a carpenter, so I carry a fair number of tools all the time, and a lot more tools some of the time, depending on the job. I needed a way to stow the stuff I always carry, and still have room for larger tools that I don't always need- chopsaw, table saw, compressor, etc. So out came the rear seats, and I built a raised platform with storage space underneath, accessible from the rear and side. I have room for toolboxes and power tools in their cases, a pair of folding sawhorses, and Rubbermaid storage bins for miscellaneous stuff. The top of the platform is clear for whatever else I need to load in. It's plywood now; I may carpet it if stuff tends to slide around. The whole setup can be removed in a few minutes.

Secondary use will be for hauling the motorcycles, and as a camper. For road trips that don't involve camping, we'll put the middle seat back in for my daughter. Those split benches are super comfy, especially in leather.

The camping setup will take the most thought. It's complicated by the need for safe, reasonably comfortable seating for three, together with occasional sleeping arrangements for three. Most of our camping consists of setting up a base camp, and taking the bikes from there. For that, a tent is no big deal; I really like the Sportz tent with the sleeve that fits over the rear of the van. Wife & I can sleep inside the van, daughter can sleep in the tent. But for enroute camping a tent is too time-consuming, and not real practical for a quick overnight in a Wal-Mart parking lot. So we all need to be able to sleep inside, without having to toss our gear out on the ground, and that's the part that will take some planning. Current ideas revolve around a standard bench seat, the one that folds flat. I need to find a van with one and take some measurements. General layout will be classic Westfalia style, without the galley. A removable rear seat/folding bed made from plywood and foam would be doable, but it's doubtful it would be as comfortable as a factory seat, and seatbelts get more complicated. I'm following other's projects, here and on the other A/S board, and also on Expedition Portal. Folks have come up with some great solutions. These vans are a bit tight inside when you start trying to turn them into a camper, which is why a poptop is so nice.

I'm not usually this long-winded, and I'll post in the appropriate forums from now on, but this seemed like the right place for this post. Oh, and I have a picture of it- taken on a cold, rainy day, after driving on a muddy road. All I have for now:

I guess I get to change my profile now. :supz:

Cheers,
Dave
Current van: 2005 AWD Astro
Previous vans: '89 2wd Astro; '94 AWD Astro

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Back in the saddle...

Post by Smiliesafari »

Nice find. Not a bad price at all. The 2005's are still commanding high dollars. I check Ebay once in a while. The prices are still up there.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

aha! so there is someone that can write a longer post than me! :yikes:
the pic says it all, nice find
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Sweet! I hope to own a 2005 some day, since it was the last year they were built. Nice find!