newbie (not new to safaris) signing in

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
risteff
I get chills without my van.

newbie (not new to safaris) signing in

Post by risteff »

Hello to everyone! I am very happy to have found this site. I live in Ohio, almost middle aged, and love my vans (past and present). I have had a 1988 astro (light conversion) for a short time (divorce) and then bought a 1990 AWD Safari. Black, gray interior, 4.3 limited options. It served me well for 10 years. Bought it with 128000 and sold it with 234000. No problems with it except regular maintaince. I also ended up with my Dad's safari van. Also a 1990 2WD, Maroon, gray interior, with the same options as mine. He bought it 5 years old with 60000 on it. When he gave it to me, it had 228000. I just sold both of them and they both had 234000+ miles on them within 20 of each other. The maroon one was getting really rusty. Ran like a champ. The black one needed a timing chain, rear main seal, rear axel bearings, paint too. I sold them both (difficult decision) to purchase a newer model. I just came home with a 2000 Safari AWD SLE. I got it dirt cheap! It needs some tlc cosmeticly, but is mechanicaly pretty sound. KBB shows 4100+- for fair condition? It it brownish, has the premium 8 speaker stereo, rear heat and air, aluminum wheels, running boards (factor, but I still hate them), quad seating, dutch doors, a clean carfax, numerous extras, and the vortec. I'll be getting some pics up sometime of the new one and the maroon one. I'll probably also be asking lots of questions. I didn't realize the later models are so much different than the older ones. (maybe a little seller / buyer remorse here). Anyhow, happy to be here!

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Re: newbie (not new to safaris) signing in

Post by rlsllc »

Welcome!

What part of Ohio?

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Welcome to the site. Glad to have you on board. Someone here will have the answers so ask away.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Welcome to the van world of ASV's. Some gerat folks here with all kinds of information.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
risteff

Post by risteff »

Thanks all. I live outside of Springfield. Nice area but no good work. As I said, I picked up a 2000 Safari SLE AWD for $1500. It has a few issues. It's rather dirty inside & out. Lots of little stuff broken on the inside. Arm rests etc. I've already got everything repaired (I think) except the armrests. I've got my battery charging as it was completely dead! I bought it about 110 miles away & had no problems on the road. It's nice to have a van that doesn't smoke on start up and when you "kick it down". Anyhow...I noticed the power locks didn't work & the dutch doors & sliding door didn't open. I discovered they were locked. The hatch has an electric lock that works with a key or by button. After digging, I found that someone had installed a remote starter / alarm system. The van came with no key fobs, owners manual or anything. Only a single key. After removing the alram system, All seems to work fine. I hope this is the battery issue too. This van also has a pretty high idle. The woman I bought it from says she had the IAC replaced without no change to the idle. This part is new and clean by a visual check. I also can't find any vacuum lines loose, cracked or off. Not much room under the hood and doghouse compared to my older vans. I'll probably not get any pics up for your enjoyment for a week or two.
Past vans: 1990 2WD SLE Safari, 1990 AWD SLE Safari, and 2000 AWD Safari SLE. Current, 2004 Astro AWD LS.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Well welcome to the site! We're glad you found us too.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

rubberdown

Post by rubberdown »

Welcome Rist! :cheers: Pretty new member here myself, but can already tell you that this is a great group of smart, supportive folks here! I actually wish I could spend more time hanging out in here!
---------------Not All Who Wander Are LOST---------------

99 AWD, 4" Overland Kit, 30x9.5 BFG A/T Ko's, interior work, rest is stock & will stay that way til something breaks!

Topic author
risteff

Post by risteff »

This is turning out to be a pretty good van. It was nasty dirty when I got it! Steam cleaned the carpets twice, cleaned it for 2 days solid inside & out. Paid $1500 from craigslist for it. New tires, alternator, vaccuum lines, All fluids changed (except trans & transfer case - to be done soon) all grease zerks zerked, (found 8), rust on the rear hatch repaired (not yet painted), and armrests repaired. Leaving for FLA next week. 3000 mile round trip. I think this'll be a good time! Its an AWD SLE with almost every option except the power roof rack, rear heater. It quiet & rides like a cadillac. I'm used to the 1990 AWD I sold. It was noisy & rode like a truck. I'll update after the trip.
Past vans: 1990 2WD SLE Safari, 1990 AWD SLE Safari, and 2000 AWD Safari SLE. Current, 2004 Astro AWD LS.

Topic author
risteff

Post by risteff »

Just completed a 2250 mile trip. Throttle still sticks due to sticky linkage. It only happens when I floor it. Trans started shifing hard into second. Changed the trans filter & topped with fresh fluid while "on the road". It helped, but did not fix. If I allow it to cool for just a few minutes after stopping, it is fine. Trans cooler & radiator flush will be happening very soon. I also got a SES light. Code pulled was trans slippage detected. Any suggestions? Replaced the rubber brake lines to the front calipers as it started pulling badly upon braking. No more trouble there. I also had my wipers stop in mid stroke during a heavy downpour on I-75 in Florida. The linkage seemed to be bound up. I tapped on it & it started working again. So far, I'm disappointed with this newer van & miss my 1990 AWD. I think I should've sunk $2000 into it & kept it for another 10 years!

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Welcome to the board.
You are brave buying a new used vehicle and going for a road trip. Glad to know nothing bad serious happened.
The slipping trans I think other more experienced folks can give you advise, I would have hoped the fluid change you did helped - make a post in the tranny section. The wiper board is probably bad. Do a search on this forum for which components to solder.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"