New from Colorado..

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
HarleySafari
I am merely driving my van

New from Colorado..

Post by HarleySafari »

I'm new to this forum, but not to the van scene. I customized vans here in Colorado back in the 80's. I bought a Safari van not long ago and am in the process of tearing out the factory custom crap and am going to do it my way.(besides, some of the interior was pink...) I want to replace the sliding door window and the back barn style door windows with pop out types. The other side window are those RV type ones and wanna replace them too.( gotta get pictures up)

I want to lift it, thought I'm not sure if I wanna go 2" or 4". I like the kits Overland has, would have never found it is it wasn't for this forum. I also want to set it up to tow a enclosed trailer or a toyhauler, using my 4.3L V6. I haven't picked out the trailer yet, that'll be later. I've been looking at different set-ups for computer chips, but would like opinions. I rebuilt the engine 5,000 miles ago and replaced the M.F.I. injectors, water pump, radiator, etc... everything but the TPS which I think is giving me problems now... Don't ask me why I didn't replace it...

There are other things I want to do to it like, onboard generator, compressor, welder, power converter, power inverter, dual batteries, solar chargers, etc.. Then there’s the paint, black and red, flames and skulls, I’m still in the planning stage on that one.

I am going to farm out some of the mechanical work, but the interior and wiring is my thing..

Any help, ideas, opinions, criticism, links and tips will be appreciated.
92 Safari XT AWD - Ready to be lifted and customized.
07 Harley customized Evo Softtail Chopper.
1 Pair of Nike.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: New from Colorado..

Post by mdmead »

Welcome!

With an enclosed trailer or toy hauler, not to mention all the additions you are planning to add to the van, it sounds like you will need a V-8 conversion too! (A nice little 383 sounds about right....) :muhaha:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Welcome aboard the good ship ASV Harley, sounds like you've got some sweet plans in store for you're ride, i'm sure you'll get a few hints and tips along the way from the locals :supz:

Topic author
HarleySafari

Post by HarleySafari »

Thanks guys...

I don't want to go to big with a trailer/hauler, my Chopper is 110" long, so maybe a 12 foot enclosed or 14 ft toyhauler. If needed I'll turbo my V6, I really don’t want to do a V8 conversion, my V6 runs really strong after rebuilding it. JET Performance offers a wide variety of stage 1 and stage 2 computer chips/modules and I’ll probably obtain one thru them.

I do want a generator, the compressor and welder are optional. I'm doing away with the middle captain chairs and ripping out the (I guess it's factory) interior, already tore out the rear heater/air conditioner system and components, which in all will get rid of about 300 - 350 pounds, so weight isn't that big of an issue.
92 Safari XT AWD - Ready to be lifted and customized.
07 Harley customized Evo Softtail Chopper.
1 Pair of Nike.

chris diehl

Post by chris diehl »

welcome and have fun doing whatever it is your gonna do. sounds like an awesome project though.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Welcome to the site HS. Slim724 just posted some pics of his van with a 2" lift. It looks really good.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle