new members

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
rastafari03
I am smitten with my van

new members

Post by rastafari03 »

~Proud to be a a Safarian~ This cracks me up!! A whole sight dedicated to Astro/Safari vans and their owners. Good job! Honestly I never took a second look at these little vans until I stumbled across your sight while in Oregon. I lived there for a couple years and wanted the perfect camper rig. At the time I owned a 04 F250 4x4 with the Powerstroke. I planned on camping for a year so I bought a new cabover and must admit it was deluxe and had a blast with my daughter. After going through the gauntlet of vehicles since, I never forgot the pictures of all your really cool lifted vans and was impressed seeing them perform in dunes, snow and mud. I'm in Central Cal. now the AWD's are scarce and owned a 09 Tacoma Prerunner UNTIL 5 nights ago!!! That's right stumbled across one in my own backyard, thought it was fate and bought my own surf buggie. Anyhow really stoked to join the club. Thanks, Sean Shell Beach, CA

Stock: 03 Safari AWD (SLE/SLT-?)
4.3L V6 (CPI-?) 3D W/99k

Future: 4" Overland Lift & shocks.
31X10.50 BFG All Terrains on wheels ?
Yakama Racks, rear door tire mount and GTRV pop top.
? exhaust/air/plugs MPG ?
Interior daughter won't let me take the seats out.
Attachments
Marchello, our PWD riding shotgun.
Marchello, our PWD riding shotgun.
IMG_1486.JPG
First glich. Thought I'd just pull running boards, turns out I need to find replacement trim pieces. Bummer
First glich. Thought I'd just pull running boards, turns out I need to find replacement trim pieces. Bummer
Lov'in my new beach buggie!
03 Safari AWD SLT 3D 99k Mods: 4" OLV lift, Rancho 5000 shocks, Two new front half shafts, True-cool trans cooler, removed cladding, (n)Z71 offroad decals, Yakama cross bars and fairing, Malone kayak cradle, matte black 16" x 8" MB wheels and 255/70/16 Pirelli Scorpion ATR's.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: new members

Post by MountainManJoe »

Welcome, mon! Nice van photos.

This guy knows how to intro post. :cheers:

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Nice looking Safari!

Welcome!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Welcome Aboard.
Nice looking Van, Your dog will love it too.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
rastafari03
I am smitten with my van

Post by rastafari03 »

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Ya, I'm pretty surprised at how someone could put 100k on any vehicle and it not have a few bumps and bruises, interior is immaculate.

My dog was packed in the back of my pickup and is all over the place now seems to like the freedom to roam. My little girl mixes it up too, front back, middle.

Its killing me not to order my new parts but beginning to remind me of an old Toyota 4x I restored. Called a junkyard to talk about the missing moldings once I pull the running boards and they typically sell the complete door. Just dawned on me, I need them off the body, Hmm. Then stopped by a dealer to find out compatible years 96-05 curious...I asked for a quote on the four I need $1,200 ouch!! Gotta get creative, leave notes on others for swap, followed a guy home yesterday with the same color van, he didn't want them either but said he'd keep his eyes and ears open.

Must be patient. Good news is that nobody is nagging me about the time or money like that old Toyota; )

Thanks again, Sean
Lov'in my new beach buggie!
03 Safari AWD SLT 3D 99k Mods: 4" OLV lift, Rancho 5000 shocks, Two new front half shafts, True-cool trans cooler, removed cladding, (n)Z71 offroad decals, Yakama cross bars and fairing, Malone kayak cradle, matte black 16" x 8" MB wheels and 255/70/16 Pirelli Scorpion ATR's.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Welcome, Sean. The longer you own it the more you'll love it. These vans do everything that needs to be done and they do it right. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle