1995 Astro AWD LT in Elizabethtown, PA

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
StoneMill
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

1995 Astro AWD LT in Elizabethtown, PA

Post by StoneMill »

Recently bought a 95 Astro AWD LT. Lady was asking $1000. Ended up getting it for $500. New PA inspection in Dec. Runs and drives. 199,2xx miles
The PO was using it to hall Amish workers but upgraded to a fullsize GM van. So, the interior needs some major cleaning. It is teal with grey interior and tan seats. The seats are in great shape, apparently pulled from her previous van because when she got it there were no rear seats
I stopped at auto zone and grabbed plugs, cap, rotor, wires, air filter, oil, filter, and injector cleaner today. Runs a little rich, hoped it just needed a tune up. The PO admitted maintenance has been neglected. It has a parasitic drain on the battery I need to sort out. Takes about 2-3 days to drain it. Noticed the radio clock display is always on. Will have to figure that out. My bro in law is an auto electronics wiz, so shouldn't be a problem. Also need to pull hvac controls from the local junkyard and repair some vac lines. Will post pics when I pull them off my iPhone.
Ran into some problems after replacing the intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and cleaning things up. Thinking I screwed something up. [-o<
What do ya think. Good deal? Seems like anything that runs/drives with PA inspection is worth at least a grand nowadays.

Posted on the other site too. Learning a lot.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: 1995 Astro AWD LT in Elizabethtown, PA

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Welcome! I say if it runs, drives and is an Astro or Safari AWD for $500 is a steal! =D> Throw a few dollars at her and she'll be good for many more miles.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

e7ats
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by e7ats »

Welcome to the forum. From New Oxford PA here.

While doing the Tune up, watch the plugs as you take them out. if half look like they are burning normal and the other half look like they are burning rich, you may have a bad fuel regulator or cracked fuel like. Common problem with high mileage 92-95 vans with the W engine. You should be able to pick up the regulator and fuel lines at Advance Auto.

As Lifted said, sounds like you got a steal.
2003 AWD ASTRO Personal van

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Yup Thats a steal alright. Great luck. :bounce:

Years ago now, I got my 95 awd from a lady convinced she had a blown head gasket.
I asked her to describe the symptoms for me and she told me it runs fine for a few minutes & then it gets all steamed up INSIDE the cab.
I smiled inside, offered her 350 bucks & she took it.
I got it home, changed the heater core and put another 100000KMs on it.
In fact I just put that same engine with 350000KMs on it, into my other 4x4 van to finish out its life.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.