Euro-spec amber front turn signal lenses available anywhere?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
JustSomeGuy
I am smitten with my van

Euro-spec amber front turn signal lenses available anywhere?

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Hey everyone! I've had my 2005 Astro for a year now, and I've been thinking about doing some modifications. One that seems kind of appealing is to replace my clear front turn signal lenses with the amber lenses that the overseas vans got. I believe all 1995-2005 Astros/Safaris that went to Europe and Japan got the amber lenses as seen in the photo.

I've searched online using all kinds of search terms and checking all kinds of websites, called the local Chevy dealer and aftermarket parts stores locally, even a few junkyards. Nobody has them or knows where I can get them. My next step is to find the contact info for a parts supplier in Europe and inquire about them. Or, get an extra set of clear lenses and try to paint them amber. Just not sure how well the paint will stand up to road use, stone chips, etc. I could spray them with clearcoat or cover with clear vinyl I suppose, but if I could get the real thing, that would be best (unless they are outrageously priced).

Anyone know where I can get the amber lenses? Thanks! :D
Attachments
p1060422.jpeg
2005 Astro RWD, base model, ex-cop van, cadet blue

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Re: Euro-spec amber front turn signal lenses available anywh

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I have been shopping for turn signals for over a year and I have never come across any that were amber. If you do find some (if they exist) I would love to know where you found them.

Most of the ones I have seen that were amber were painted.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

Topic author
JustSomeGuy
I am smitten with my van

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I'm going to try emailing some places in England that are into importing and selling Astros, do camper van conversions, etc and see if they have any suggestions. It appears that some Astros in Europe have clear turn signal lenses while others have the amber ones. Maybe certain countries in Europe require the amber lenses while other countries do not. Or maybe it depended on the year? If I find a supplier of amber lenses, I'll post it here.

If all else fails, I'll get some spare lenses (either used ones from the junk yard or new aftermarket lenses that are even more "clear" than the OEM "clear" lenses) and practice painting them and then maybe use clearcoat spray paint or clear vinyl to make them more resistant to peeling and stone chips.

leadtrombone
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by leadtrombone »

Though i see some astrofarian vans here in germany occasionally and i know the have a following in other european countries i am pretty sure that they were never "officially" imported for sale in europe.

The ones here are, i am pretty sure, either personal imports or sales from american/canadian service member that were over seas over the last 25 years.

i am sure that most of the parts they get in the UK or elsewhere are the normal us parts individually modified for that application or the meet road rules.

Maybe one of our UK members has a better source though.

Good luck. Paint might be the best option to get the look you want though..
1999 Safari SLE. Stock. Proud owner since May 2010. So far I love it..

P1050479 by leadtrombone, on Flickr

The old cars - my progression to here (most recent first)

1996 Honda Passport
1988 BMW 320i touring
1989 BMW 520
2005 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
2002 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab
1989 BMW 320i
1990 Toyota Tercel EZ
1991 Mitshubishi Mirage
1970 Mercedes Benz 250 Saloon

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Yesterday I was looking at the front end parts breakdown for my van and it had a domestic and export part number for the turn signals.....both were the same part number.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Topic author
JustSomeGuy
I am smitten with my van

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

After looking at more pictures of Astros in Europe and Japan, it seems that one some of them have amber turn signals and some have clear ones. I emailed General Motors in England (Vauxhall) and they gave me an email address for a division that deals with American vehicles in Europe. I haven't emailed them yet.

Interesting how the amber and clear lenses have the same part number!

That amber vinyl might be the best solution if I can't get actual amber lenses. There's a guy locally who does headlight and tail light tinting but he only had yellow, not amber. I could get that amber vinyl and take it down to him. Then again, our vans have pretty flat lenses, no crazy curves or anything, so I might attempt to cover my own lenses. Either my existing ones, some spare used ones I can buy at a junk yard or order some new aftermarket lenses.

Another option I found would be to heat open the lenses and paint the areas inside (not the reflectors though). Normally people do this to create a blackened effect, but I could use amber paint instead. These are not on Astros, but I think the process might be similar:

http://z14.invisionfree.com/volksdevil/ ... owtopic=45
http://www.jimmmmmmmah.com/Install/Pain ... ousing.htm

bowtie262
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by bowtie262 »

Here in England I've never seen a turn signal light with an amber lens on 95> Astro / Safari. Our local laws require amber light turn signals on front and rear. (amber colored bulbs)

Some aftermarket turn signal lights have a real smooth clear lens, they might be easier to cover or paint onto.

I don't think the Chevrolet dealerships over here will help much.
If you asked them where Chevrolets are made ???
I'm afraid they probably wouldn't point toward the great U.S.A.

But good luck anyway.
Attachments
turn signal amber.jpg
Still Vannin' after all this Time !

Topic author
JustSomeGuy
I am smitten with my van

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I emailed Chevrolet in England (Vauxhall) and they replied, but weren't able to help. The person who replied gave me an email address of someone who might be able to help though (seems like an aftermarket supplier for American Chevrolet products in the UK). However, like you said, it might be easier to paint or use amber vinyl to cover my stock (or aftermarket) clear lenses.

The more I think about it, it seems the Astros with amber lenses seem to be from Denmark and Japan, possibly other countries. Maybe certain countries require an amber turn signal lens for the front, while others - like England - are OK with a clear lens using an amber bulb. Even though the lens is clear, it still flashes amber with the amber bulb.

If I decide to go with amber lenses, I think I'll just order that amber vinyl and cover the stock clear lenses with that. Or maybe buy some new aftermarket clear lenses and cover those with amber vinyl.