Drilling out MOOG **HARDENED STEEL** Ball Joints!!!

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Drilling out MOOG **HARDENED STEEL** Ball Joints!!!

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

This kicked me in the ass before so of course I was determined to succeed this time around. During one of my past lifts I attempted to install the Overland ball joint spacers. Dan @ Overland told me to buy the cheapo $10 ball joints because they could easily be drilled out to accept the 5/16" bolts that come with the spacers. As you know, most of the BJ's come with 1/4" holes. I wasn't about to put in cheap BJ's with 31" tires so I bought the hardcore expensive MOOG BJ's.

As it turns out the heavy duty BJ's are made with hardened steel. A normal drill bit won't even scratch the surface. I tried many times and nothing I had would even make a mark. So I scrapped the spacer idea because I really didn't need them. I went with 1.5" lift springs as opposed to 3" lift coils and the angle wasn't bad at all.

Soon however, I will be installing the 3" coils so I will definitely need the spacers to help with the control arm to spindle angles. I will be upgrading to 33" tires this time around so once again cheap BJ's are not an option. I had to find a way to drill at least a 5/16" hole in the hardened steel.

4 years ago I asked the seasoned (30+ years) machinist at my work if hardened steel like this could be economically drilled. He said NO, that I would most likely need to have them EDM'd (electronic discharge machined). That type of work is expensive.

A few days ago I decided to order a carbide drill bit at a cost of $50. I figured if it didn't work at least I know for sure I can't drill these suckers out myself. Tonight I gave it a shot and the results surprised me!

This is the drill bit I bought:

McMaster-Carr part number: 8882A28 Carbide Straight Flute Short-length Drill Bittin-coated, 5/16" Sz, 2-1/2" O'all Lg, 1" Drill Dp

These bits are very brittle so you MUST use a drill press or mill and secure the BJ to the table. You cannot use a hand held drill.

Chucked up in my Craftsman 9" drill press:

Cutting fluid for machining is recommended but I don't have that on hand. Instead I used an ample amount of used motor oil for lubrication.

The result:

It cut through the hardened steel like butta!

The bolts fit very snug. The next size drill bit up is 3/8". I purposely did not buy that one because I didn't want any slop. It seems to me that the more slop you have the more likely the bolts are to shear under extreme force.

I hope this helps someone out. I would have found it EXTREMELY useful a few years back so I'm sure someone out there will benefit.

I have a video of the drilling but photobucket doesn't want to let me upload it. I will try again later.
Last edited by 97CargoCrawler on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Drilling out MOOG **HARDENED STEEL** Ball Joints!!!

Post by MountainManJoe »

Nice work. Put the video on Youtube so you can directly embed it here.

MrJames
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by MrJames »

From Laugh-In's Artie Johnson; Very Interesting !!!!

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Good info, CC. Thanks.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

MrJames

Post by MrJames »

Your new avatar is much better than the other one.

oldsmoker

Post by oldsmoker »

nice post!...ive done a lot of machining but its been a while...what kinda speed did u run that bit at?
1989 Astro 4.3 283k. Originally a Zimmer conversion van, now a stripped out cargo.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

:supz:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

MrJames wrote:Your new avatar is much better than the other one.
You know, I have had that one since I started here back in '08. Sadly, I think I received more than my share of discrimination because folks thought I was GREEN. "We come in peace".....rat tat tat tat. Oooo, look at the alien goo.

Oh well. I didn't post my real mug because I didn't want anyone's wife to say, "I know him!" and have all hell break loose.

:D

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Drooler
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Drooler »

WOW and no coolant/lubricant either
Drooler
aka
HarryB
1988 Astro CL 172K miles Factory F&R Sway bars stock except
for 15x7 GM Alloys with 225x70 tires.
RIP 1994-2010 driven 140K. Time, wear, and my health sent it
to the trade in block 9/10/10.