Erasing (reseting) Service Engine Light

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
gary
I am merely driving my van

Erasing (reseting) Service Engine Light

Post by gary »

Over the weekend I changed the fuel filter on my 2002 Chevy AWD Astro.

Everything went well with no problems.

However, when I started it I got a "Service Engine Soon" light.

I'm thinking this is because I "broke" into the fuel pressure system changing the filter.

How do I reset the servie engine lights (erase the codes) on this 2002 Astro?

I tried disconnecting the battery for awhile, but that doesn't seem to get rid of the light.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gary

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I'd be surprised that just swapping the filter would cause the light to come on. (It never did on my '96. Nor when I swapped the fuel pump which also required relieving the fuel pressure. Granted, the '02 could be different.)

My question is did you do any other maintenance when you swapped the fuel filter. (I had a local oil change place remove and replace my air filter and they forgot to hook up the MAF (or whatever type of sensor these use) wiring harness and that set my "check engine" light.

If there is no other cause, the light might go out on its own in a day or two, or you could break down and buy a cheap (roughly $100) code reader and reset it with that. (And it will let you see what this and other codes mean.) How long did you leave the battery disconnected? (I'd walk away for 30 minutes myself.)

Good luck!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
gary

Post by gary »

I learned many years ago, one change at a time (whenever possible).

The only thing I did was disconnect the battery before changing the fuel filter. No other work on it or changes.

When I finished changing the fuel filter, I reconnected the battery and started it. It did crank for a few extra seconds before starting, but then ran well even tho the "service engine light" stayed on. And it does seem to run great, actually better with the new filter; starts instantly with more acceleration and power. I think the old filter was pretty clogged after almost 6 years.

I did disconnect the battery again, but for only 5 minutes or so hoping it would reset the light. May be I have to leave it disconnected for longer?

Or may be that doesn't reset things on the 2002s or newer.

Gary

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I't may have been the long cranking time that triggered it... although that is only speculation. (I'm pretty sure I cycled my key about three times before cranking to let the pressure build up.)

But again, I don't know what kind of changes might have been made between '96 and '02. I do know some engine management systems are more forgiving than others. My dad's Grand Caravan popped a code when the gas cap was left loose and he had to take it to the dealer to be cleared. When I fixed the connection on the MAF in my van, the light went out on its own after about two drives.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

On the OBD ll systems, 96 up, the MIL, malfunction indicater lamp, must be turned off with a scanner. However there are some codes that remove themselves after the engine has been started several times without a repeat of the same code. Give it a couple of days and see what happens.

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Re: Erasing (reseting) Service Engine Light

Post by GnarliSafari »

some one once told me that turning your key on and off about ten times fast, not actually cranking it over but just giving it power, wil reset this problem, i used to have problems with my o2 sensor and this worked for me, i never replaced the thing but for some reason two years later it just doesnt turn the light on anymore. i thought even disconnecting the battery disabled it but if you did that in the first place i guess not.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

dj_joker_2002
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by dj_joker_2002 »

If your close to an autozone they can reset it for free.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

GEJ wrote:Same name,but not me.This Gary last visit was Oct 07.Wanted this user name-but couldn't get it. ](*,) ](*,)
Well you COULD OF had it when you very 1st joined the site BUT you wanted to go by fleamarketer or somethin like that, no sense cryin bout it now GEJ :D

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

astrozam wrote:
GEJ wrote:Same name,but not me.This Gary last visit was Oct 07.Wanted this user name-but couldn't get it. ](*,) ](*,)
Well you COULD OF had it when you very 1st joined the site BUT you wanted to go by fleamarketer or somethin like that, no sense cryin bout it now GEJ :D

My bad.Oh well-let it go.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Fire Cakes
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Fire Cakes »

astrozam wrote:

Actually it was garysgifts...........................he has gifts alright. :muhaha:
Gearing up for another great camping season :) Camper is re packed and ready to roll.

The 2012 camping season has begun!!!!!!!!
Camping Trip Count for 2011 - 2
Camping Nights Count for 2011 - 4

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Yeah,it is the name of my fleamarket business.But Lynne,it is because the owner is sooooooo "gifted". :muhaha: :muhaha:

BTW-After I said let it go.........you think your posting alittle late??. :swords: :poke: :poke: :yawinkle: :)
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

remark123
I get chills without my van.

Post by remark123 »

Lynne, Gary, I love you guys! It is people like you that make the people in my office day's brighter because of my hysterical laughter when I read your barbs. They think I'm nuts... I know I'm nuts! :axe:
1991 Hartland EXT with Z motor. Only 190K miles on mostly original parts.