Ok change of plans, new van

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Ok change of plans, new van

Post by PharmAstrocist »

Always quick with the pics:

Shortly, I'll fill you in on all the lessons I've learned since this purchase... it is apparently and unfortunately a work in progress.

Wife's gut instinct was to name her TinkerBell, only because she's a fan and tends to accessorize, but we're in the market for a name if you wanna keep the idea factory running!

Yes, Krispy & Kreme is very cute... just don't know how well Kreme holds up as an individual name!
Krispy: '90 Astro Cargo Shorty ----------------------Newest Addition: Kremey: Stock '99 Astro LS 8 Passenger, New CD/MP3 w/ 10" Woofer
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

ImageImageImageImage Krispy&Kremey

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

PharmAstrocist wrote:
Yes, Krispy & Kreme is very cute... just don't know how well Kreme holds up as an individual name!

But it already has a big K on the front license plate!
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

Topic author
PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by PharmAstrocist »

LOL, yeah that's true... what the hell is that anyway?
Krispy: '90 Astro Cargo Shorty ----------------------Newest Addition: Kremey: Stock '99 Astro LS 8 Passenger, New CD/MP3 w/ 10" Woofer
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

Topic author
PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by PharmAstrocist »

OK!

So now, so far... on the way home at the gas station, wife had a problem putting up the driverside window with the auto button. I had said I had played with the window lock, so I went and made sure it was unlocked, and sure enough the window went straight up.

Next scene... the drive through carwash. I'm still soaked. Put window down to make the CC transaction, pulled in... window would NOT go up after halfway. Checked the lock, turned off the engine and back on, nothing... holding a jacket against the open window and getting soaked. Put it in gear and pulled out and right up it went. F#@K!

While waiting in line FOR the car wash, noticed that though it was about 55 degrees at time of sale with nice strong fan blowing cool air, it had warmed up to about 70 by mid-afternoon, and it is clear I am getting at best a mixture of a/c and outside air. Popped the hood, compressor spins for 4 seconds, shuts off, spins for 4 seconds and shuts off... off periods being longer.

I hope it's pressure with no leaks, that's all I can say. I was VERY adamant about the A/C with this guy, and truly it seemed satisfactory at the time. Heat is fine, but we're going to FL this summer and I friggin HATE no a/c... one of the BIG driving forces in just buying a new vehicle. I've sunk over a grand into my own van's A/C and it STILL doesn't work. No high fan, they keep burning wires and the shop that needs to run a new one is always too backed up and wants me to leave it for 3 days. My shop says can't diagnose without high fan running... so there's that... since it's winter its been low priority, but i just put a rebuilt compressor in and would like to know what I'm getting eventually.

So far no other "character" from the van, kids love it.
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

astrogurl
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by astrogurl »

Yeah, in the north, A/C is nice...but after living in Atlanta without A/C for a summer...I realize A/C is a necessity if you want to get to your destination without looking like you just came out of the shower with your clothes on!

Here's hoping for the best!
03 "Pewter" Astro AWD stock
early 90s Astro currently under the knife

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Uhhhh, yeah.

1st of all, you broke a cardinal rule by NOT having the lovely missus pose in an attire that's more......"exotic".
2nd, the name of the aforementioned vehicle should clearly be Petey. It's clear, concise, cute yet demanding of respect. To be quite honest, I'm kinda hurt that I had to even mention it. Your wife does, after all, know what a studly hotty Petey is, right? [-(
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

peter wrote:Your wife does, after all, know what a studly hotty Petey is, right? [-(
How could she not know who you are? especially with your pic in your avatar. :D

Topic author
PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by PharmAstrocist »

peter wrote:Uhhhh, yeah.

1st of all, you broke a cardinal rule by NOT having the lovely missus pose in an attire that's more......"exotic".
2nd, the name of the aforementioned vehicle should clearly be Petey. It's clear, concise, cute yet demanding of respect. To be quite honest, I'm kinda hurt that I had to even mention it. Your wife does, after all, know what a studly hotty Petey is, right? [-(

Uhh..no. And quite frankly, now that she has her own Astro, my biggest fear is of her joining this site... and especially learning the real extent of the becoming of Krispy.

Running off with Petey is a close second though :sick: :vom:
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

:muhaha: :muhaha: [-X
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by PharmAstrocist »

Already ordered the black Altezza tails...

are these crazy hard to install?

Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

What ever you do, Pharmastrocist, don't let Peter speak French to your wife. Although I had asked Peter not to whip any of that French-fried talk on Betty, he decided to do so anyway at NECO 07. Now I don't understand much French, but I could swear he made a comparison between a part of me and an appendage on a hamster.
Damn.
Betty stills gets all giggly when she thinks about it.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Bien sur! :whistle:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by PharmAstrocist »

So the van spent the better part of the day stranded at Walgreen's. I was stuck at work but wife got stuck there. Went in, came out, van wouldn't start...she walked home. Triple A sent a "battery guy" or whatever they call the people they send out w/o trucks to weed out actual tows and he said wasn't the battery.... she called again for a tow truck and he had it going in a couple minutes... apparently the terminals were too loose.

So it's been a shaky beginning, but at least there was a cheap explanation for it and it's fine now... :whistle:

Neg terminal can definitely use replacing... bit-o-rust.
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

moboman
I get chills without my van.

Post by moboman »

Rust on the battery terminals? Aren't they copper? I just cleaned mine both up and put some penetrox on them, because I was stuck in a kroger parking lot, luckily I had a ratchet in my van.

I'm sorry to hear about the shaky beginning.
I think peter might want to trade you "zz" for your new "peter" :D

Peter I want your van! And your Garage!

Topic author
PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by PharmAstrocist »

Ok, well, oxidation of some sort... sure looks like rust... and not on the terminal itself, the neg cable connector.

More on the problem the other day, seems when you have the "dome light override" button depressed, it makes a clicking sound... probably wreaking havoc on the battery in some way, so I guess we're just not going to use that button.

I swapped the stock stereo with a CD/MP3 Player, Lightning Audio 10" Woofer and matching amp. Also put on those window visors but the passenger side one already fell off before I could get pictures.

It's going in Friday for the Viper alarm/keyless entry/autostart.

Post more pics then.

I should probably consider a tune-up or mechanic lookover or something practical at some point soon as well, but I'm not the best with priorities.
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound