Where is the switch for the back up lights located?

Topic author
MOlynyk
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Where is the switch for the back up lights located?

Post by MOlynyk »

Hey all,

I'm looking for the location for the switch for the backup lights on my 87 astro van. Automatic with shifter on the column. I would also like to know if anyone knows if this is the likely cause for spontaneous backup light failure. I can't see a fuse for it. Thanks.

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Re: Where is the switch for the back up lights located?

Post by rlsllc »

Hard to describe the location, but it is on the column. If memory serves me right, it is also the switch that only lets you start the van in "Park" or "N". maybe this will help you find it. Hopefully someone will chime in with wire colors, etc, to help.

It's different on the 96+ vans, I think it is on the trans on those years.

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

I think rlsllc is right. I believe it is combined with the Park/Neutral switch. But I might have an easier fix for you because I was having the same problem with my van. I found that this works every time to get them to come on. After I move the shifter into reverse, I then just push the lever straight up gently until stops against the detent for Park. Don't shift it out of Reverse, just move it up a little bit, I think the switch may be out of adjustment. Like I said, this works for me and I've been doing it this way for years but your results may vary. Give it a try, it's easier than replacing the switch.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

The switch has ALWAYS been on the tranny. Don't ask me where, but it ain't in the ignition switch.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

CaptSquid wrote:The switch has ALWAYS been on the tranny. Don't ask me where, but it ain't in the ignition switch.
Not so. Consult your GM factory service manual. The backup switch and the neutral safety switch are one in the same. The ignition switch is a totally separate switch. I'm looking at the manual now.

I know some of the late model (96+) stuff is different, but NO earlier gm automatic has ever had a reverse lamp switch. Manual trans do, though.

I have to lift up on my shifter (94 van) to get the lamps on also, James.

Rvamobiledetailing
I get chills without my van.

Post by Rvamobiledetailing »

Just realized my backup lights didn't work tonight lol. I replaced the bulbs,that didn't work. I checked the fuse,it's fine. It's a 95 astro.Have to get a battery for my multimeter to see if i am getting voltage at the sockets of the bulb.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Roy is correct on this one. There is a small amount of adjustment on that switch.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle