how many members with 80's Vans still on the road?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
batmo
I sleep in my van

how many members with 80's Vans still on the road?

Post by batmo »

Im wondering how many others arround here still drive and prefer the '80's vans?

mines an '86 Safari with +350,000mi. on the original 4.3 and rear axle. I bought it from the original owner in 1990 who's also a family friend so I know all the history too.

I've had a couple of later models but they just didnt suit me as well as my old one. and I like the early dashboard and instruments better and the shortbed and cargo doors.

easier to maintain too, thats probably why mines still arround. I take meticulous care of it and Im a gearhead/mechanic. never use anything other than mobil-1 in it and it has proven tome to be effective for long life also.

over the years Ive invested alot of time/money in it and I wouldnt want to start over. still a work in progress but it has and does everything I need in a Van. some photos of it in the members rides (page 5)

who else? why do you own/drive your '80's Van?

'80's ONLY ;-)

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: how many members with 80's Vans still on the road?

Post by SafariRob »

Batmo, my van is an '89. I don't know how much longer it'll be around though as rust has really been working overtime on it lately. The van had been factory undercoated and looked good up until a year and a half ago. Then rust rapidly came through the rockers on the passenger side. I'm half afraid to see what the unit body frame looks like above the rear axle--I fear that I'll find the passenger shock mount gone like I've seen on most older vans around here.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Drooler
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Drooler »

88 with 165K - daily driver - almost rust free - yes underside too
Drooler
aka
HarryB
1988 Astro CL 172K miles Factory F&R Sway bars stock except
for 15x7 GM Alloys with 225x70 tires.
RIP 1994-2010 driven 140K. Time, wear, and my health sent it
to the trade in block 9/10/10.

JaxSPL
I get chills without my van.

Post by JaxSPL »

89 with 235k. Not sure how long it's gonna be on the road though. It may last, hopefully, until I get my tax return. If it does, everything will be fixed and it WILL have a 350 in it.

Checked around for some modifications to be done. They are pretty expensive. Stretch and additional axle = $5,000. Angled chop top = $3,000. Rip out my system and install new one = $4,000 (minimum).

Things still checking on:
Front end swap to newer model
Air Bags
Paint Job
Window Tint
Fiberglass Dash (gonna try to pick up a donor dash in 2 weeks)
Front end rebuild (was quoted $585 before ball joint problem)

Not sure why I put al this here though.
I Am Dennis. Van is Da Boom
Florida Sales Rep for GPI Subwoofers

original_balzer
I get chills without my van.

Post by original_balzer »

grandpa bought mine new in 86 and aside from a mishap with wheel cleaning acid in the gas a new/used throttle body its been on the road the whole time.

Topic author
batmo
I sleep in my van

Post by batmo »

oh yeah.. rust. I forgot all about that being a factor. we dont have much issues with it on the southside. in fact mine IS rust free.

Ive done a little bit of welding here and there adding various mounts and such and it seems to weld like its galvanized. it sure has held up like it is even for being in the south.

if its worth more to you than a replacement you should cut it all out and restore it. thats what I'll do it mine starts to rust. anytime I run through road salt I allways rinse it off asap but Im sure that gets old if you live in areas where its just about everyday in the winter.

I'll have to snap some pix of my dash and stuff. I bet most ASVmembers have never even seen the early 80s grid style instruments and squared off dashboards.. their so cool man! what the heck is a third brake light? AIRBAG what? LOL

who else is ridin' in the 80s?

Merlin
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Merlin »

Mine is a 1989 Astro RS not on the road right now as it is apart getting a V-8 and hopefully a manual trans. Going slow because of health but still going on. One day it will be back on the road just not sure how long. Oh yeah here, Kalifornia, rust is not a factor none on mine.
1989 RS Astro, V-8 and maybe a shift it myself tranny, still deciding on this one. Dutch doors, Cad tail lights, shaving the rest now. 12 bolt rear end was in the van when I got it but changing how it sets to lower.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

'89 shorty, 139K miles no signs of giving up the ghost yet.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

My `86 shorty cargo ex pizza van is still alive, but I fitted a V8 back in `98 so I can`t really hang in the "Lots-O-Miles" club here.....

`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

1985 Astro which was a ice cream van:

As far as I know,the only 4.3 O.E.M. carb van on the forum.Miles...........well I really don't know that.I turn the key after one pump on the gas peddle and it starts and runs.Heading towards a lift and V8.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

1987, 227,000 miles, rust free. Mom & Dad bought it brand new in May of '87. Original engine, trans and (rebuilt) rear axle. Fuel pump #2 only!
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

d3athm3talh3ad
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

'89 shorty cargo about to be back on the road...was a delivery van for a medical supply company, then an electrician's van before they blew a head gasket and broke the timing chain at almost 200,000 miles...rust is minimal, but the little dents everywhere, and hanging of stuff from the roof and the ladder rack on the roof have taken their toll in other ways...

Topic author
batmo
I sleep in my van

Post by batmo »

good to see more 80s owners. good luck with the V8 (and health) Merlin!

socali, I think that side door option would be Awsome on the rear! how you gonna open it in a parking spot on the side? I really dig the factory alloys too man! clean, not too shiney.

1gary, you probably have the earliest van here. Ice cream van HAHAha! are you going for the "Free Candy" look or is that getting phased out?

6spd, mines only on the second fuel pump aswell but I have a new third ready an onboard for if/when the 2nd quits. the first one went out while I was on vacation in Daytona in '97 I had my bike with me so I was able to ride to the parts store and pick one up. changed it on the side of the road, not fun but not a dissaster, missed the first couple of hours of the Rolex24 though.

d3athm3talh3ad, Cargos are the coolest ones! I'd like to do one up with a 70s van theme oneday. I grew up in the 70s custom van sceen, it was good times, then the mini trucks came along and pretty much killed off the Van Craze.. so sad. at least the min vans were not far behind them but except for us here at ASV they never really made it to the legandary "70s Van" status.

thats kinda why I like the old styles.. I just cant warm up to the chinese chrome tail light "mods" or even the dutch doors and bulbous front ends and dashboards.. livin' in the past I guess. we did have it made back in the day though.

so anyway.. mine has so many miles that Ive had the V8 ready to bolt-in on standby now for over 5 years! Im not in a big rush to convert it and kinda intrested in seeing just how long the 4.3 will last.

Im working on having a complete restomod subframe and trans ready to swap now. the ole 4.3 has been very good to me and its giving me plenty of time to aquire some nice equipment to roll into the van at some point (I guess?)

if the 4.3 keeps at it long enough I'll should be able to replace it with AWD V8.. well see, most folks would be anxious to convert to V8 with one ready and waiting but Im not in a rush, like I said Im kinda getting a kick out of how long the 4.3 lives and so is my friend the original owner.

heres a pic of mine before I put the BFG AT tires on it.

its the only one I had handy without my bike on the back.. still got the bike hauler attached and thats why Ive left the ladder on all these years (so the handlebar doesnt come smashing through the rear glass) but anyway.. nothing to brag about but not bad for a 20 something! Ive gotta get some more recent pix.

mabey we need an 80s club? hopefull more members will chime in here too. these oldies in good shape will probably be the most sought after someday when all these vans are antiques. they are allready classics!

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

I drive an 87 with OEM 5 speed.
I love it. Its got a new 4.3 installed last year. Goes great.

I have a 90 and a 95 too, but like the oldies best.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

uncle-vinny
I am smitten with my van

Post by uncle-vinny »

1988 cargo with 120,000 original miles. Accoding to car fax it is the correct milege. Owned by a painter who only drove it locally. I bought it 2006 with 109,000 on it for $1500. Mostly minor repairs. It is a work horse that has moved lots of stuff for me, friends and family. I will use as long as I can. :rock: :rock: :rock: