installing a bay window in a cargo van

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
peddeler
I am merely driving my van

installing a bay window in a cargo van

Post by peddeler »

Hey folks, I bought a couple of bay windows on ebay that I want to install in my 2004 astro cargo van. these windows are specifically made for my van. The thing is that I would have to cut away a horizontal brace that runs just under where the factory window would go. I"m sure they must do this when they build conversion vans using the same type of window I have, but I"m afraid it will compromise the structural integrity of my van. I have a link to a picture of what I'm talkiing about and I marked the areas I"ll have to cut. what do you think?

Thanks, Scott

http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums/y35 ... nt=van.jpg

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: installing a bay window in a cargo van

Post by WoodButcher »

Cut the interior strut (horizontal sill) at the vertical and weld the piece back in lower. fabricate sheet metal patches for the vertical post where you cut to reinforce them after cutting.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'93 cargo, work in progress

Topic author
peddeler

Re: installing a bay window in a cargo van

Post by peddeler »

thanks for the input but I really dont want to get involved with welding and fabricating. I dont have the equipment and its not worth the trouble. I"m thinking I might take a stroll through the junk yard today and see if I can find an Astro conversion for I can see how the conversion companies did it. I searched the internet for an hour and I cant find any pics or how to's or anything. I'll pay any of you astro conversion owners 5 bucks if you take off the panels and show me a picture of how your bay window was installed :muhaha: