How can I save a "Diamond in the rough"

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
bf5011
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

How can I save a "Diamond in the rough"

Post by bf5011 »

Hi folks, we're new 2 this board. Finally had 2 replace my old 95 Astro van. Just picked up an '03 w/78k, & all the bells & whistles I been lookn 4 like all wheel disk brakes, dutchies, rear a/c & heat, keyless Int. , cruise & auto headlights, am fm cd, 16" rims, etc. etc. etc. She runs great & tracks straight with no internal or external noises & her vehicle records indicate a clean bill of health & a 2 owner. At a sale price of $4500, & after 18 months of lookin, i'm tickeled. There is one troubling problem that explains the low price. The last owner did not like her white color so he painted her ( R-U ready for this?) "BLACK"!!!!! Now I never was too fond of white rides myself, & I don't have a problem with shiney black cars as long as it aint WHITE under the black. She already has a few parking lot dings on each side (which are barely visible @ a distance of 1 & 1/4miles. To make things worse he was not even as good as the average JACKWAGON JACKLEG back yard auto painter. His work of art makes the cheapest version of "EARLE" or MACO look like a "REMBRANT" !! The factory white was not even scuffed with a
fine grade of wet-or-dry (to enhance adhesion). I stood on the back bumper & noticed some irregular areas in the surface back @ the extreme rear end of the top, like some trash under the black. When I scratched @ it with my fingernail, the black paint peeled about an inch long & half an inch wide, exposing the original (glossy) white. Oh by the way, none of the jams or under the hood are black. That I knew b-4 I bought her. Now I need some skilled body painters advice. I need several questions answered & some honest advice. Since there is poor adhesion between the original white & the jackleg black, does all of the black have to come off & if so what is the best method to use, sanding, peeling, or can it be desolved with a solvent (keep in mind I aint got a clue what kind of paint the black or the white, for that matter, is. If it is repainted properly, does it have to be white again? Is it possible for me to have her repainted without having as much in the paint job as the vehicle?
A little advice from some of you do-it-yourself experts to a 70yr "OldFool" would be greatly APPRECIATED! :supz:
Thanks in advance,
Bill/ fishing aboard the "RETIRED HOOKER"

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Re: How can I save a "Diamond in the rough"

Post by Kidhauler »

Welcome to the board. I would check with a local body shop most will do a free quote on a job. The black will have to come off for sure if it flakes that easy anything you put on top would not stick. A guy in highschool had a similar paint job and we used a pressure washer on some of it and then a chemical peel and a putty knife took the rest down to factory paint.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I agree.........and welcome to the site. All of the old paint has to be removed. There are several methods to consider. Check with a few paint shops in your area to get a general consensus as to which may be the best. Any way you look at it, it isn't going to be cheap. Like everything, "you get what you pay for".
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

I've always said...
"It aint the fashion, it's the Function, that counts"
Carry around a black rattle can and hit the white spots :muhaha:

No matter what color or what you do, you will get more door dings and such in parking lots.

Save your money.

Oh, and Hey, welcome to the site..
Very nice deal on such a new van with all the goodies!
Got any pics of this wonderfull paint? I drove a red van with one blue door all last winter.
It was very reliable and got me everywhere I needed to go.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

thegreenmachine
I get chills without my van.

Post by thegreenmachine »

my van has a primer grey fender...... :cry:
2003 Chevrolet Astro 4wd np233c transfercase 245/75/16 ETS Trailermaster tires
ImageImageImage
Previous:
1995 Safari AWD (death by torsion bar. a.k.a. "the final straw")
1999 Safari AWD ( death by tree x2 )
1997 safari rwd cargo ( sold @ 450,000+ km )

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

I painter the roof of the red van with the blue door. The roof was fading bad, so I rolled on some flat black, looks good enough, I'm thinking of doing it all. with a roller. Lol...
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Of course it depends on how much depth you want to put into the paint work.This thread is about repair work and paint.Hope it inspires you to get-er-done right.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7026
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY