Anyone interested in a Group Buy for a Cat's Eye Grille?

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
JustSomeGuy
I am smitten with my van

Anyone interested in a Group Buy for a Cat's Eye Grille?

Post by JustSomeGuy »

What's a "Cat's Eye" Grille?

The much sought after, but no longer available "Cat's Eye" grille is a grille shell that fits over your stock 1995-2005 Astro grille and composite headlight and turn signal lenses. You've probably seen pictures of these (see below for examples). They give our vans a mean, aggressive look from the front. It also makes your Astro look a bit different than everyone elses' Astro. Looks great on its own, or with a full body kit. People will sure see you coming down the road! It also gives a slightly more modern look, similar to the squinty look on the current Chevy Express and GMC Savannah full size vans. However, these "cat eye" grills are almost impossible to get! It seems they are no longer manufactured and extremely difficult to find today. Maybe the company went out of business or discontinued the cat's eye grille. I was fortunate enough to come across a brand new, never installed "cat's eye" grille.

But wait, there might be a way to still get one!

I was thinking of getting someone to make a mold for a "cat's eye" grille and manufacture them using my grille and my van as a sample. Of course, it wouldn't be identical to the one I have for a couple of reasons. First, it could be a copyright infringement if it's 100% identical. Secondly, I don't like how this grille is so "chunky" - it really sticks forward a lot and is kind of angular. I would prefer something a bit flatter that didn't stick out as far.

Which vans does it fit?

This is for the 1995-2005 Astro front end with the composite headlights and the chrome bar that runs the entire width (and separates the headlights and turn signals). It does not fit vans with the sealed beam headlights or the Safari with the "wide mouth" inset grille and headlights that are stacked directly above the signal lights with no chrome bar. However, a Safari owner could use junkyard parts to switch over to the Astro front end. The Chevy bowtie logo would not be visible - it would be covered by the cat's eye grille shell.

What's Included?

There is no grille insert - this is just the "shell" which sits on top of your existing grille and looks like it uses existing bolts to hold the top and double sided tape to hold the middle and bottom, much like aftermarket side skirts are attached. Alternately, you could order a billet grille insert instead of using your factory grille or custom make your own from mesh, etc. The cat's eye grille shell would need to be painted either black or the body color of your van. Or cover it with simulated carbon fiber vinyl. I'm not sure what material it would be made of. The cat's eye grille shell I have is hard, brittle plastic. I would hope that the new version would be fiberglass or polyurethane. I'll inquire about that.

What's the availability and price?

So far I have only made initial inquiries about making a mold for a cat's eye grille using my own cat's eye grille as a starting point and my 2005 Astro to test fit it on. To make it cost effective, I think I would need about 20 or more people to buy a grille (the more the better, it will help keep costs down). Once I have an idea on how many people would be genuinely interested in this, I can get more accurate pricing.

So, let me know if there's enough interest in this. It won't be cheap, but it (hopefully) won't be expensive either. I believe the price would be similar to any other aftermarket body kit pieces out there, only there's nothing like this currently available. Even a billet grille insert costs about $150. If enough people are serious about it, and are OK with the price (once it's determined) I would take a deposit or full payment up front by PayPal and get the grille shells manufactured and shipped out.

I'm sure lots of people will say "yes I'm interested" but ask yourself, are you REALLY interested in this? Are you able and willing to put up real money for this? (probably a few hundred dollars). I'll try my best to keep the price in line with what people expect to pay for body kit parts. If it turns out to be outrageously expensive, or there's not enough interest, I'll scrap this idea. Let me know if you would be interested and if possible, what you would be willing to pay. No obligation. Don't worry, this won't commit you to buy anything - just trying to gauge how feasible this would be.

Thanks! :D
Attachments
cateye-grille1.jpg
xenon-cobra-green2.jpg
Screen shot 2012-01-09 at 1.12.49 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-01-08 at 11.16.10 PM.png
2005 Astro RWD, base model, ex-cop van, cadet blue

Topic author
JustSomeGuy
I am smitten with my van

Re: Anyone interested in a Group Buy for a Cat's Eye Grille?

Post by JustSomeGuy »

OK, so it doesn't seem that too many people are interested in this grille after all - or at least putting up the cash for one.

I'll leave it open a bit longer, but soon I will paint and install my cat eye grille. Once that's done, I won't be pulling it off for someone to make a mold for manufacturing a new cat eye grille. Looks like the illusive cat eye grille will continue to be one of those things that lots of people say they want, but hardly anyone has...

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

JustSomeGuy wrote:Looks like the illusive cat eye grille will continue to be one of those things that lots of people say they want, but hardly anyone has...
Yes, It will...

Post up some pix when you get her mounted.

Jim

Topic author
JustSomeGuy
I am smitten with my van

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Yep, I'll be sure to post some pics when I get in painted and installed. It will probably be in the next couple of months. I'd like to wait until after the winter - less chance of it cracking or getting road salt all over it. I also want to order a billet grille insert to go along with it.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Hey, Check out this vid by one of our newest members...

It might get you thru the winter blues, until you can mount up your grill.

MobileCustoms: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8079

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1-QoZMNnLI[/youtube]

Enjoy, Jim

Topic author
JustSomeGuy
I am smitten with my van

Post by JustSomeGuy »

astroturf wrote:Hey, Check out this vid by one of our newest members...

It might get you thru the winter blues, until you can mount up your grill.

MobileCustoms: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8079

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1-QoZMNnLI[/youtube]

Enjoy, Jim
Wow, that looks pretty good too! I missed that video if it was posted elsewhere on this website. I've seen the headlight overlays on compact cars (Civic, Neon, Focus, etc) but never really liked them. Looks pretty good on an Astro though, especially with a black grille (but I don't really like the carbon fiber look though, just the black, satin black being ideal). On the cars I've seen in person, there's just something about them... I don't know how to describe it. I can tell it's a vinyl overlay and never quite liked that from up close. From a distance, it usually looked great though.

On the Astro, I like the way he made the overlay for the upper headlights. I would repeat that effect on the lower headlight but of course, flipped over like a mirror image, just like the cat eye grille design so it looks like mean, squinted eyes. Use blackout tape on the center portion of grille bar, but only where it bisects the grille. Leave the it chrome where it goes between the headlights and signal lights. And then black out the grille or get a black billet grille. I think that would look really slick and without the need for a cat eye grille. Almost makes me want to do it that way on mine. But I like that the cat eye grille shell is more substantial than just a vinyl overlay. But it's almost a bit too chunky. Would be nice if there was something in between. Maybe a cat eye grille shell that's thinner, but not as thin as vinyl.