true hot rods/street machines

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

true hot rods/street machines

Post by markmitchinnh »

If I was building a world class street machine/hot rod and had mega millions I would have all the best in my project but I am a disabled veteran with a family so I build whats possible within my budget. To me a true hot rod/street machine is to build something to your liking with what ever you can get your hands on so to speak. Trailer queens are over kill and not feasible to me.
My van has a subaru legacy hood scoop welded into the stock hood and totally functional.
I personally don't care for the sitting on the ground look to me it looks like its broken But as I always say to each there own and even if I don't like everything about someone Else's project I can still appreciate the work and technicalities involved.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

MrJames
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: true hot rods/street machines

Post by MrJames »

Where does Blastro fit in ?

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

Well now I would classify that as a drag van
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

I have been debating with myself if I wanted to post to this thread.My race partner and myself are living proof of what someone can do to build cars most say they can not afford.Twice in our history we built 9.90 cars while both of us was collecting unemployment and one was a brand new roller straight out of Jegs shop.So I am hard/hash on people who say they can't................we have for over 20yrs and finally got to a spot of a two car operation,one being a 7.90 RED.For us it has been the level of commitment and what we are willing to do without the fills in life to see a sport grow into a race business.And in fact independent of that racing operation,my own project Ole Yellar,grow to the extent to it has yet to be completed.In regard to Ole Yellar,not the least to include the daily driver problems that I am dealing with/paying for that.Certainly not to forget the costs of a independent shop rent(independent of the race shop) and equipment build up too.People all too often don't give a thought to what kind of shop/tools/equipment it takes to build a hot rod and how much that costs.When I walk into my shop,I am proud and amazed at what I have acquired in only two yrs(two yrs this Nov) of being in there with more yet to go.

So as I said,I am hash/hard on people that say the can't afford something in regard to a Hot Rod,because I know the level of sacrifices I have made and what that has produced.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I fully understand where you are coming from, But with a wife and kids and a house payment the hot rod comes in last in a lot of cases- each month I buy something, last month I bought the parts to rebuild all the brakes. This month I bought the tail light fillers. Over the winter I bought all 4 tires. Now I basically have to start putting it together. I have a used low mileage 350 with TBI for now. My trans is a rebuilt 700R4 with a shift kit and corvette type servo. My exhaust is done with the exception of the tail pipes. Financially it just takes a bit more time then I would like it to take but its coming along. Now I do not have any desire to race to having a V8 is great but its more aesthetic then anything at this point. I have been going to car shows since I was a kid and the big winners are usually the most thought out and different yet not usually the ones with millions spent on them.

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

The one thing I want to add to this,is projects do not have a completion date.Sure we all would love to enjoy the fruits of our labor sooner than later,but it is what it is.And haft of the fun is the building stages where at the end of the day you stand back and look what you have gotten done.

Rochester,NY

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

again I totally agree, I have been working on this van for approx 4 years, but at one time it was at another house I recently sold and I had to drive 35 miles to work on it. Now its with me but without a garage so winter kills me lol. I am building this van to suit me and so far so good.

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

I like hot rods and especially muscle cars, and of course 4x4 overlanders, but i may be the only man on the planet that does not like a project; I'm a user, not a tinkerer.

If i have two hours, I want to be on the trail or on the river for an hour fifty. Mtn bikes and kayaks take virtually no maintanence and when used correctly can give a helluva lotta thrill per dollar, per impact, and per maintainence minutes.

I have all the admiration in the world for the car builders and tinkerers out there; I wish I were more like that, I'm simply not.

More power (literally) to you.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Tom-I'm not a tinker either.I want to build once right and move forward.Short money results in short term results.

Rochester,NY

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I am a disabled veteran and a former auto tech/mechanic, I have always been into hot rods, street machine, 4x4 trucks and muscle cars. So since I have more time then money I build for myself. As anyone knows life no matter what you do life is a learning experience & no matter how much schooling one may have in there trade there is still room for learning and improvement Hence this club and so many like it for other vehicles. I understand that everyone in the world is not mechanically inclined LOL my stepson broke down once and called to tell his mom and I and he didn't even know what a dash board was or what gauges were. I probably should have not laughed at him but I did. I had to teach my wives sons how to change a tires and how to check tire pressure and add air. Anyway call me a tinkerer if you wish I love working on stuff at my leisure no pressure and no time limits.

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

markmitchinnh wrote:I am a disabled veteran and a former auto tech/mechanic, I have always been into hot rods, street machine, 4x4 trucks and muscle cars. So since I have more time then money I build for myself. As anyone knows life no matter what you do life is a learning experience & no matter how much schooling one may have in there trade there is still room for learning and improvement Hence this club and so many like it for other vehicles. I understand that everyone in the world is not mechanically inclined LOL my stepson broke down once and called to tell his mom and I and he didn't even know what a dash board was or what gauges were. I probably should have not laughed at him but I did. I had to teach my wives sons how to change a tires and how to check tire pressure and add air. Anyway call me a tinkerer if you wish I love working on stuff at my leisure no pressure and no time limits.

I used to think spark plugs were to plug the holes so the sparks didn't get out. :rolleyes:

OK, maybe not so true. However, back in the late '80's I once recomended to wealthy finance friend that it may be time to change spark plugs in his Caddy, he actually said it didn't have spark plugs because it was fuel injected. #-o
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

Now thats funny