Stainless Valve's and Bronze bushings, worth it?

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
Xephius
I get chills without my van.

Stainless Valve's and Bronze bushings, worth it?

Post by Xephius »

Hey all,

Can anyone explain the value of SS valves/bronze bushings, and in what situation they would be called for? I understand that they are "cleaner" because buildup doesn't stick to them, but is it worth $300 to go away from stock valves?
If anyone has a good article on this subject I would appriciate it.

-=John=-
-=John=-
1995 Chevy Panel Wagon - Stillen Body Kit, 3" Drop, Rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, 18" Wheels with Yokohama Wrappers. LT1- .060 Hyper Pistons, Blueprinted and balanced, all ARP, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6:1 SS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Elderbrock Headers, PCM Tuned with LT4 Knock Module, Aeromotive AFPR, 2800 Stall, Hardened 4L60E, Posi 3.72:1 Diff
Getting:
100HP Shot Zex Wet Nitrous Kit.... Why? If you have to ask, you won't understand....

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Stainless Valve's and Bronze bushings, worth it?

Post by Rockwerx »

In a normal street engine you won't need SS valves. Stock valves will work fine. Even if you are hotrodding it stock valves will be okay. If you want to really build power and are reving it out all of the time then you can justify SS valves or better ones than that even. Bronze guides are the way to go in all applications IMO. Some companies use cast iron guides but they are not as "slippery" as bronze guides. You can also use sodium filled valves if you are rooting on it all of the time or towing a trailer. Sodium valves usually have a slightly larger diameter stem. If you go to the wreckers you can sometimes find them in the odd truck engine.

Good Luck with your project!
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

Jim in Indy
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Jim in Indy »

SS valves for the street? No. Ain't worth the $$$'s.

Bronze valve guides are a definite yes!! With a slight knurl-job after being select-fit reamed for each valve stem are a plus in the longevity department.

Exhaust valves with sodium-filled stems really pull heat away from the valve itself... just make sure you have hardened valve seats, (stellite or equiv inserts), if running them in older heads.
Indy, all the horsepower you could ever imagine in one place...
Indianapolis 500, MotoGP, 400 at the Brickyard, NHRA US Nationals.

1991 Safari GT, 'B' motor, factory 4.10's. Original Owner !!!

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Get your stockers back cut. If you do not plan nitrous, a turbo or supercharger or are building a max effort engine, forget it. Not worth the additional bucks.