Rear brake noise

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Rear brake noise

Post by kings-x59 »

have intermittant rear brake noise...the only way I know to describe it is is sounds like metallic "squirrelsquirrelsquirrel"
ok, that has target writen all over it, go ahead make your jokes about my 4.3....
anyway,
pulled the drums and inspected.
the cylinders in the drum brakes are fairly new, no leaks, boots look good, the shoes have +/- 1/4" of friction material on them. I've bled the lines till the fluid is clear. The shoes are totally budget, cheapest of the cheap. Drum wear is minimal, no ridge on the outboard edge of the drum, inside face is pretty smooth. Braking action is fine.
on a medium to hard brake, or a soft brake at speed no noise. easing up to a red light is when I get this disconcerting noise.
Due to drone from the muffler, I can't tell if I'm getting any noise from the axle bearings at highway speeds. Do you think this might be bad bearings? I can't visually see anything wrong with the brakes.
Need some ideas.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

uncle-vinny
I am smitten with my van

Re: Rear brake noise

Post by uncle-vinny »

I had an 1986 Safari Van and went through the same thing. Part of the problem is the design. I changed everything that could be changed and it still squeaked. The only improvement was when I put in premium linings. I seem to recall a premium Raybestos lining worked the best and minimized the noise. I also use to get pulling or grabbing when it was damp out for the first one or two stops then it went away.

Uncle Vinny

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

Topic author
kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Rear brake noise

Post by kings-x59 »

thanks for the confirmation. I've come to the same conclusion. I removed the drums and did some cleaning, lubricating and adjustment and got rid of the noise. Although the self adjustment components are the same as any other drum brake system I've ever seen, mine seem to collect brake dust and stop self adjusting in pretty short order. I think your right about the brake linings, next time I need to buy much higher quality brake shoes.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....