Dutch doors grrrrrr ...

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
BC-Astro
I am smitten with my van

Dutch doors grrrrrr ...

Post by BC-Astro »

Hi Guys,

Button to open the dutch doors isn't always working ... sometimes I have to push like hell to make it work or I have to lock and unlock it several times to make it work. ](*,)

Any suggestions to solve this very annoying problemo on our '99 Astro??

Thanks!
1999 Astro LT
2006 HHR
Port Coquitlam - B.C.

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Dutch doors grrrrrr ...

Post by ihatemybike »

Had the same problem with Green, lubed the latches and the mechanisms in the hatch and it went away.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

just did mine today. the winter seems to be hell on it, its amazing what a difference it makes! i keep the little pull strap on the inside off so i can spray lube on the inner mechinism easier also.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Topic author
BC-Astro
I am smitten with my van

Post by BC-Astro »

FYI - I already tried to lube the latches and mechanism several times - looks to me that it is the button itself that's causing the problem ... is that a possibility?
1999 Astro LT
2006 HHR
Port Coquitlam - B.C.

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Anything is possible. You can check the electricals with a meter. Have you pressed the button while watching the mech on the inside? Maybe the solenoid is going bad. If so, new ones are available from http://www.rockauto.com/ for $30-35.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

Topic author
BC-Astro
I am smitten with my van

Post by BC-Astro »

ihatemybike wrote:Maybe the solenoid is going bad.
How hard is it to replace the solenoid?
1999 Astro LT
2006 HHR
Port Coquitlam - B.C.

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Not to bad, I had Green's out when I had the tumbler out trying to work it free. Never fixed the tumbler.
Aaron

Topic author
BC-Astro
I am smitten with my van

Post by BC-Astro »

Well - I replaced the solenoid ... unfortunately, it didn't solved the "problemo" :cry:

I think the button is the culprit and it looks like it isn't a "do it yourself" kinda thing to fix . . . :-s

I just wonder how much $$$ the stealership will charge me to fix it!
1999 Astro LT
2006 HHR
Port Coquitlam - B.C.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

its only a momentary contact switch no big deal . you could even buy an aftermarket switch & wire it into the dash somewhere .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Topic author
BC-Astro
I am smitten with my van

Post by BC-Astro »

skippy wrote:its only a momentary contact switch no big deal . you could even buy an aftermarket switch & wire it into the dash somewhere .
Skippy, can you please give me more details how to make this work ...

Thanks!
1999 Astro LT
2006 HHR
Port Coquitlam - B.C.

Xephius
I get chills without my van.

Post by Xephius »

BC-Astro wrote:Well - I replaced the solenoid ... unfortunately, it didn't solved the "problemo" :cry:

I think the button is the culprit and it looks like it isn't a "do it yourself" kinda thing to fix . . . :-s

I just wonder how much $$$ the stealership will charge me to fix it!
Before you buy a new button, you may want to grab a can of Electrical Contact Cleaner from the auto parts store and try that. I keep a can around for general usage, you would be amazed what it will fix. It restored all the switches in my Astro when I first got it (windows, locks, mirrors). Most of the time the contacts in those switches just gum up from smoke, dirt, and spilled soda. (I have seen soda spills in the head liner, so I know it can get anywhere) This stuff will clean it out. Worse case, take the button apart with some small screwdrivers and manually clean the contacts. Could save you some money...

There is nothing you can't fix yourself. (proper tools may help tho)

-X
-=John=-
1995 Chevy Panel Wagon - Stillen Body Kit, 3" Drop, Rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, 18" Wheels with Yokohama Wrappers. LT1- .060 Hyper Pistons, Blueprinted and balanced, all ARP, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6:1 SS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Elderbrock Headers, PCM Tuned with LT4 Knock Module, Aeromotive AFPR, 2800 Stall, Hardened 4L60E, Posi 3.72:1 Diff
Getting:
100HP Shot Zex Wet Nitrous Kit.... Why? If you have to ask, you won't understand....

Topic author
BC-Astro
I am smitten with my van

Post by BC-Astro »

Xephius wrote:[Before you buy a new button, you may want to grab a can of Electrical Contact Cleaner from the auto parts store and try that. I keep a can around for general usage, you would be amazed what it will fix. It restored all the switches in my Astro when I first got it (windows, locks, mirrors). Most of the time the contacts in those switches just gum up from smoke, dirt, and spilled soda. (I have seen soda spills in the head liner, so I know it can get anywhere) This stuff will clean it out. Worse case, take the button apart with some small screwdrivers and manually clean the contacts. Could save you some money...
I Already used electrical contact cleaner on the button and when I replaced the actuator, I was even able to use on the inside but unfortunately it didn't help ...
I figured that the button had to be removed from the inside but I was kinda reluctant to go ahead with it because it is kinda difficult to reach ... can someone please give me some information on how to remove the button without causing any further damage?

Thank you! :yawinkle:
1999 Astro LT
2006 HHR
Port Coquitlam - B.C.

Xephius
I get chills without my van.

Post by Xephius »

I don't have a button to look at so I can't help there... As a quick test, if you short the wires going into the button, does the door pop reliably?

-X
-=John=-
1995 Chevy Panel Wagon - Stillen Body Kit, 3" Drop, Rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, 18" Wheels with Yokohama Wrappers. LT1- .060 Hyper Pistons, Blueprinted and balanced, all ARP, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6:1 SS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Elderbrock Headers, PCM Tuned with LT4 Knock Module, Aeromotive AFPR, 2800 Stall, Hardened 4L60E, Posi 3.72:1 Diff
Getting:
100HP Shot Zex Wet Nitrous Kit.... Why? If you have to ask, you won't understand....

Topic author
BC-Astro
I am smitten with my van

Post by BC-Astro »

Xephius wrote:I don't have a button to look at so I can't help there... As a quick test, if you short the wires going into the button, does the door pop reliably?
Almost impossible to reach ... maybe I should consider removing the doors completely and replace them with a curtain :muhaha:
1999 Astro LT
2006 HHR
Port Coquitlam - B.C.

Topic author
BC-Astro
I am smitten with my van

Post by BC-Astro »

Hi clan,

Maybe I can hotwire the button ...Anyone out there who can help me with this - pleazzzze? :prayer:

Thanks!
1999 Astro LT
2006 HHR
Port Coquitlam - B.C.