Dutch Door Woes

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Dutch Door Woes

Post by CaptSquid »

The 98 AWD Stro that I'm picking up has a problem with the bottom dutch doors. The top opens nicely and the struts are strong. But the bottom doors don't budge.

The question that comes to mind is... Is there an electrical solenoid on the bottom latch? Or could there possibly be a jammed latch?
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Dutch Door Woes

Post by astrozam »

more than likely a jammed latch, I always had problems with my lower DD's

Topic author
CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

So how do I unjam the jam?
98 AWD Stro LS

ImageImage

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

pull the panels off, remove the plastic membrane, reach up into the hole and move the latch.

Topic author
CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

Driver or passenger side?
98 AWD Stro LS

ImageImage

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I had sticky bottom dutch doors until I replace the handle after it broke. After that they worked fine, and still do years later. No idea what the difference was, maybe I moved something back where it should be. Lube it up well once you get it open and make sure the door handle is hooked up internally correctly.

The doors on mine work this way. The passenger side door latches at the bottom to the door frame, and the driver's side door latches to the passenger side door IIRC.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

try spraying grease in there too first, if they arent lubed good they straight up dont work.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

CaptSquid wrote:Driver or passenger side?
Drivers if I recall :-k

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Passenger side is the one that opens first...same as the barn doors.
Last edited by LiftedAWDAstro on Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited to correct side
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Re: Dutch Door Woes,

Post by GnarliSafari »

no, passenger side opens first it has the license plate and the door handle, just like the barn doors.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

True, the passenger side has the latch but the latch catches on the drivers door, that is why you need to reach up into the drivers side to unlatch it.

LiftedAWDAstro

Re: Dutch Door Woes,

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

GnarliSafari wrote:no, passenger side opens first it has the license plate and the door handle, just like the barn doors.
Man I am dumb...well I posted it this morning after working all night. I was thinking you grab the latch right by the license plate and open that door first but I wrote the driver side down. ](*,)
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

BRAIN FART!
98 AWD Stro LS

ImageImage

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

astrozam wrote:True, the passenger side has the latch but the latch catches on the drivers door, that is why you need to reach up into the drivers side to unlatch it.
the latch is in the passenger door, the drivers door just has the posts that it catches so you would still need to pull the panel off of that one and manually unlatch it from inside first. then reach in the drivers door and unlatch that one, its latch is on the bottom of the door and the post is in the door sill.

Topic author
CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

I paid a visit to the stealership today to pick up an exploded diagram of the dutch door assembly.. The Wunderkind behind the counter had hearing problems. First, he brought out the diagram for the slider! Then, he brought out the diagram for barn doors. Finally, he seemed to understand that I wanted the diagrams for the DUTCH doors. Sheesh!

Anyway, I got the inside panel pried back far enough to look inside as I pulled on the handle. All the linkages seem to be working. However, there appears to be a solenoid just above the latch mechanism. I didn't have my meter handy, so I couldn't find out if I was on the right track and see if 12 vdc was being applied to said solenoid. Provided Mother Nature cooperates today, I'll see if I'm going in the right direction.

On a brighter note, a local body shop was good enough to pull out the passenger fender so that it was not impeding the opening of that door.
98 AWD Stro LS

ImageImage