Big Orange

Post photos, video of your van

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Big Orange

Post by meetthespeakers »

Not sure what to call this van so I will go with Big Orange for now since the old one was Big Blue. Anyway, been a while since I have really been able to post. Went through being in the hospital for a few weeks, wife getting cancer, losing my job, etc etc. Working at a Performance shop, getting let go, and now I am back doing Electrical Engineering. Anyway, I have been restoring my 4th Mini, and that has been taking up most of my time, plus the other 15 Mini's I worked on over the summer. So thats the back story, and here is my new van I have been working on for the last 6 months or so...

-2000 Astro, RWD. Two Tone House of Kolors Tangerine Orange mixed with something else. Black with flake, and a 2006 GTO hood scoops molded into stock hood, all metal, however scoops non functional. 18"x8" Boss 338 wheels, 235/50 18 tires. Lowered 2" in the front, 3" in the rear. Springs, and drop leafs (previous owner, would def do spindles and flip kit if I did it). Anyway, will need to take even more pictures since I have been pimping the van since these were taken. I just welded in some 2005 Black leather and suede PT Cruiser GT/Turbo Heated Seats. On to the pictures:

Last edited by meetthespeakers on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Re: Big Orange

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Here is the hood
Here is a box I made for a 10" Kicker sub for the rear, so it would be hidden behind the panel. Lots of angles, also the amp is mounted back there. Note: I do not have rear heat/AC so I had more room to work with. Don't mind the box mess, it cleaned up fine, and it sounds fantastic.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Very well done. =D>
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Gorgeous! =P~ I absolutely love the colors, the hood and the wheels!
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Okay here are the seat pics, just snapped them down in the garage here at work. Notes, I grinded the stock sliders off the astro base. That took all of 10 minutes with the 4" angle grinder. Then I simply tacked the base to the sliding tracks of the PT Seats. Don't mind the welding, I only have flux-core at this point, so it ain't pretty. Will paint the base black when Spring is here, as well as swapping in some fresh black carpet. I have still not been able to figure out the wiring for the heated seat portion. I have the wiring diagram, but still no dice yet. Also BONUS, the passenger seats folds all the way down. Good for lumber, or putting a laptop or something on.

2005 PT Cruiser GT/Turbo Seats
Passenger seat folded down
Awesome Flux-Core welding.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

i'm not a fan of orange on any vehicle.. but that van I love!! that's saying alot =D>
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Wow, this van is sweet! I love the Orange! :guitar:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

nice work so far, you did the hood yourself? however i hate how dodge uses the same ugly foam armrests on every seat they have. my mom had a 95 caravan with those things and every ram van ive ever been in has them also, even my buddies cummins has them, would've never guessed the pts had them too.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

GnarliSafari wrote:nice work so far, you did the hood yourself? however i hate how dodge uses the same ugly foam armrests on every seat they have. my mom had a 95 caravan with those things and every ram van ive ever been in has them also, even my buddies cummins has them, would've never guessed the pts had them too.
I hear you on the armrests.. nice seats, dodge armrests LOL btw, meet.. I want your 4 bay garage!!! it's bigger than my house (almost) LOL
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Okay, not great pictures but I was able to get the winter wheel setup on last night... 19 degrees out! Anyway here are the specs: 17x8 Cragar Soft 8's ($75 each), 235/55-17 Federal Himalaya Snow Tires ($80 each), Black Center Caps ($5 each), and Orange Pin Stripping I did with my buddy ($7).

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

the van looks great however truth be told i think i'm in love with your garage! :heart:
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

gabequest
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by gabequest »

WOW! Very cool...but "Big Orange" doesn't do it justice. It needs a proper name....more badass like "Wicked" or something like that
2004 Astro AWD
4inch Overland lift, 265/70/16, Poptop Colorado CamperVan, 11inch Roof Fan, Custom Bumper...more to come on the interior

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

gabequest wrote:WOW! Very cool...but "Big Orange" doesn't do it justice. It needs a proper name....more badass like "Wicked" or something like that
I agree!!

how about HELL'O'WEEN .. hey, it's orange and black! hmm, easily changed to WEEN-Y .. ok ..scratch that.. go with wicked or badass .. LOL

great job on the pinstripe. how'd you get it so straight, in a circle ???
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

blk lt awd wrote:the van looks great however truth be told i think i'm in love with your garage! :heart:
I wish it were my garage! It was my buddies garage where I was restoring his 59 mini from scratch. All original, 850 motor. We do have one guy in the club that has 3 lifts in his garage, lounge, etc.... total sq ft of garage....3200 sq ft!!! He has us over for a Mini "Lift Day" once a year.

crash wrote:
gabequest wrote: how about HELL'O'WEEN ...great job on the pinstripe. how'd you get it so straight, in a circle ???
Well it was a pain in the ass doing the pinstripe. I did the first wheel, and had my buddy finish the other 3! I will be curious to see how it makes it through the winter. But I think it gives the wheels some contrast.