Polishing Non-glass lenses

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Polishing Non-glass lenses

Post by CaptSquid »

I've been told that one can polish plastic/poly lenses with Brasso and a whole lot of elbow grease. Is this so?
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Re: Polishing Non-glass lenses

Post by NotDadsW41 »

True.
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Depends on the use of the non-glass lens, contact lenses? no. The lenses covering the lights of our vans? yes. I used a kit sold by Turtle wax made for the job. It came with a liquid polishing compound, and 3, 2"x2" sanding pads of different grits. My kid bought it for his car and spent 2 hours rubbing and sanding and rubbing,,,,, that headlight looked pretty good. =D>

He was beat and decided to leave the other one for another day so I played with it. I used the coarse pad to shooth the worst spots and then took it to the buffing wheel. Took me more time to pull the fixture out of the car than to polish. No elbow grease involved. The Polish in the kit was very much like brasso, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same stuff.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'93 cargo, work in progress

Topic author
CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

I tackled one during the wee hours. Because it was just surface haze, it polished right out, revealing schmutz INSIDE of the turn signal lense. But I think I can run some water inside and a bit of detergent and play 007's favourite drink.
98 AWD Stro LS

ImageImage

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

Maybe it's my OCD but I have found that it's worth the time to pull the lens off the vehicle to work it. Starting with 400 grit up to 2000 then polish compound and wax with a buffing wheel ( I bungee cord my buffer down to a workbench LOL ).
It works wonders and makes the lenses better than new IMO. If you are doing headlights they typically have a clearcoat on them that yellows over time ( you will need to sand all that off to get a truely clear lense )

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

I got extra lens for Ole Yellar anyways.Might try 6" buffing wheels on my bench grinder and some of the stuff from Eastwood.I think I still have some of that around still in a box somewhere.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

Although not quite perfect, the Brasso removed the yellowing haze from the front turn signals. I acquired these from the JY because my left one leaked and the right one was broken. After polishing the outside of the lenses, I put a shot of Ivory dish soap inside and filled them both with hot water, swished them around and rinsed thoroughly. The inside was just plain schmutzig and this rinse with soapy water cleaned the reflectors and the inside of the lenses. With the heat, the condensation won't last for long.

Sorry, no pix. I tried, but they all came out fuzzy and non-distinct, both with flash and without.
98 AWD Stro LS

ImageImage