New member from VT

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
krsowles
I finally get the smurf thing

New member from VT

Post by krsowles »

[imImageg][/Imageimg]
Hi all, newbie from VT. I am the proud owner of not one but TWO 1991 GM awd vans! Even though I spent my life savings on them, it was only $600. I hope you all don't think I'm as stupid as my wife does! I have always wanted a van and love 4/awd and my wife hates vans so it seemed like a no brainer to me. The browm GMC (aka turd), is for parts. The motor and tranny have about 35k on them, they are both gm remans. S.S.Dark HoMutt, the chevy, is my pride and joy! Its on the road and I drive it daily, much to my wife's dismay!
My plans are relatively simple at this point. I'm going to remove and rebuild, clean and paint the subframe from the turd so it's all pretty and new and gently slide it in homutt with a small lift and tires. Havent decided on size yet but leaning toward practical not freak show. Rest of homutt will also be cleaned, prettied and PORed underneath. I really want a safe, dependable vehicle for my boys and I to ride in(my wife swears she won't be caught dead near it, ain't love grand?).
As you can tell, homutt has a special paint job that I had no part in. Airbrush Ron, of Burlington, VT did it. He does have a website if anyone is interested. I got the van that way and couldn't wait to paint it UNTIL I found out how much my wife hated it. It has grown on me since and tell her I'm getting in touch with my inner hippie! It does stand out in our small communityand I do get some ribbing but my pride went with the vows and at 46, I'm not trying to impress anyone so who knows, maybe I'll keep it.
For those of you bored enough to keep reading, S.S. Dark HoMutt was not an accidental name. S.S. stands for sh$t show, a phrase my brother likes to use when things go bad. Dark HoMutt came from "Dark Helmet" in the movie "spaceballs" which is big in my family. Helmet was replaced with HoMutt, Ho because it's so difficult to work on compared to Jeeps, Willys and old trucks and Mutt because it will be made from at least three different vans!
Again, thanks for letting me introduce myself and share my astro joy! God knows I don't get to do it at home!
Sometimes, I realize that I'm clueless...Man, I hate those moments!
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD
1991 Chevy Astro AWD(retired)

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: New member from VT

Post by snapple »

Welcome to the site! I :heart: the paint job! :cheers:
My wife doesnt like my vans either, until we go on a family camping trip!
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Welcome Aboard...

Jim

MrJames
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by MrJames »

You ONLY spent $600.00 for both of them ? That is a steal.

Don't commit any crimes in that HoMutt unless your passport shows you were not in the USA at the time because I doubt there will be anyone who couldn't describe it.

Don't worry about standing out in VT. You must know that you would also stand out in New York City. So what ! It looks nice to me.

Welcome !!!!