8" wide rim?

FROM STOCK 15" STEELIES TO WILD 24" WHEELS, THEY GO HERE.

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Re: 8" wide rim?

Post by meetthespeakers »

This is the package I was looking at getting, I guess I'm gonna take the plunge in the next few weeks once I get back from vacation. They are:
-18x8 AR Gray Torqlite Wheels
-235/50-18" Tires BFGoodrich KDWS g-FORCE
-Mounted, balanced, lugs and locks.

They are made for the Astro, I can't find the offset for the rims, but I remember somewhere seeing 4....
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

So in my other post I got some new rims and tires. I got them on last night and found out this morning they are rubbing on the inner wheelwell at close to full lock, but also bumps turning. I can't even stick my finger between the tire and the metal. Should I hammer it out, or cut it? The tire size is stock, 235/50/18's... Thoughts?

I was planning on lowering the van 2", would this help or make matters worse. They way I was looking at it, the center of the tire would raise up into the wheelwell a little more, not sure if that makes sense...

Thanks guys, I need to take care of this asap. 8-[

Jersey John
I am smitten with my van

Post by Jersey John »

On my S-10 I used to have when I lowered it with the 20 x8's it rubbed. So it may get worse when lowered. You could try spacers to move them out a hair.
95 GMC Safari SLX "Mr. Cooper" (as my kids call it)

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

I did major mods in that section, cutting out the offensive section and then migging in new sheetmetal. My pics are all gone, though. I think spacers will make it worse, not better. You need to either mod the sheetmetal there as I did, or look for rims which set the wheel deeper towards the inside (which I also did later after going to more radical tires).
Last edited by peter on Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Yea, I tried doing a quick hammer job on it last night. Still rubbing a little bit, I mean on my drive to work it only rubs in the parking garage, and the first turn I make onto the highway. I am a little nervous about cutting out the metal, but I guess that might have to be an option. I am def keeping these rims, and I suppose I could get a thinner profile tire, but the current profile rides really nice.

I am not sure about the spacer either, I can't tell if moving them outward would help or not. Would I have to get longer studs? Lets say if it was 1/2-3/4 spacer? Thanks guys always.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

DON'T use spacers! The reason your tires are rubbing is the wheel has too much offset and stick out too much. This essentially makes the wheel/tire combo wider than just a 235 tire. The only solution is to hammer that offending area back to make the room. I have hammered mine back around 2-3" and it doesn't affect it at all.

PM sent.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

I sent a PM back, and for those interested... I used the grinder to trim a little of the metal (pinch weld?), probably about 3/4" and it seems that was the culprit as well as the plastric trim piece located next to it. Cut a little of that out. So far no rubbing.... It was a quick job just to see if it would help, so I will probably go back in there and trim a little more out and clean it up. Thanks guys. =D>

SSAstro
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by SSAstro »

PM Sent