Light bar for front bumper to mount fog or driving lights.

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Light bar for front bumper to mount fog or driving lights.

Post by Astrophysics »

Yep, I will take a few more low res. photos of my 2003 AWD Astro and post them.
I have several photos in high res that are too large for the site to accept.

I did take a few low res photos of the 2002 Chevy brochure which has a neat picture of the under side chassis of the AWD Astro. various photos are handy to see the front cross member which has 4 drain holes which are handy to mount a HD skid plate etc.
also shown is the cross memeber at the mid point of the van where the torsion bars adjustment keys are located. this is the place to use 18 mm socket , (6 pt 1/2 socket and big rachet or breaker bar to "crank the torsion bar " bolts a few turns to lift or level the front end (raise the front of the vehicle first of course to off load the weight)
anther photo shows the transfer case.,etc. and fuel tank.
also a photo shows the rear OEM style factory trailer hitch.

Astrophysics
Attachments
PIC-0100.jpg
PIC-0099.jpg
PIC-0098.jpg

knucklehead
I am smitten with my van

Post by knucklehead »

any updated pics of the light bar like a full frontal if your not too shy for the type of photot that is.

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

I have photos some where and I have added fog lights to the front light bar. now has Hella driving lights up high and nice rectangular fog lights (Bosch) from a BMW in the wrecking yard.

the fog lights are actually more usefull since they help as cornering lights.

I will look for photos.

I will be installing my 2 inch overland light soon and then I can take new photos to post

Astrophysics

CDGsafari98
I get chills without my van.

Post by CDGsafari98 »

what happened to the pics? Did i miss them?
2000 AWD Astro daily driver/ family car
98 AWD Safari I call it "the Van" Dead at the moment
02 Grand Am "the wifes car"

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Light bar for front bumper to mount fog or driving light

Post by Astrophysics »

I have finally installed the Overland 2 inch lift! I torque striped the hex bolts after torquing. I also added front cross bars to allow mounting of Grille guard. Also added S10 Blazer tow hooks to the bumper mounting bolts. did major tune up too. O2 sensor, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, serpentine belt, radiator hoses, thermostat, freshen cracked vacuum line from EGR valve controller.
replace the light bar with the lights being mounted on the grille guard. also installed Aux tranny cooler and replaced the OEM steering cooler lines under the bumper with a Hayden aux cooler mounted in front of radiator. After trimming the lower radiator shroud with a jig saw to clear fan on 2 inch lift. I also cut the upper shroud into 2 pieces to make it much easier to remove or replace. I added flat bolted mending plates to re secure the top of the 2 pieces.

my 2003 AWD now has 98,300 miles. see photos in next post.

Astrophysics
June 2011

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

still most of my photos are high resolution but i will try to attach the cell phone ones.

Astrophysics
Attachments
1 1/2 x 2 inch x 35 inch steel box tube cross bars and Simpson HL49G heavy 3 gauge steel gussetted brackets.  This is the mount for grille gaurd.
1 1/2 x 2 inch x 35 inch steel box tube cross bars and Simpson HL49G heavy 3 gauge steel gussetted brackets. This is the mount for grille gaurd.

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

photo of cut out in bumper to access tow hooks.
Attachments
cut out bumper sheet metal to 4 x 6 to allow access to S10 Blazer tow hooks which are mouted to bumper to frame bolts.
cut out bumper sheet metal to 4 x 6 to allow access to S10 Blazer tow hooks which are mouted to bumper to frame bolts.

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

the grille guard came off of an older Land Rover Discovery. At least it is all welded and round tubes. The mounting flanges are at 24 inch centers.
this grille guard weights 30 pounds. it is not quite tall enough to cover the headlights. but it will help to beef up the front bumper.

Astrophysics
Attachments
2 inch lift installed on front.  whoops where is grill guard.
2 inch lift installed on front. whoops where is grill guard.

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

what is max photo size now?

Astrophysics
Attachments
Simpson Strong tie HL49G, 3 guage steel heavy angle. Awesome with 2 welded gussets
Simpson Strong tie HL49G, 3 guage steel heavy angle. Awesome with 2 welded gussets

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

grille guard test fit to 2003 AWD OEM Astro bumper
Attachments
IMAG0091.jpg

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

inside view of 2 person jump seat mounted sideways in back so more space for gear.
also installed folding seat from Chrysler mini van. this seat fold into bed and into flat storage too.

may put Pontiac Grand AM cloth seats in front.

Astrophysics
Attachments
rear 2 person Izusu Trooper seat mounted side ways and 3 person Chrylers mini van folding seat with tilt adjust and folds into bed or flat . installed with Uni strut channel to allow use of OEM seat brackets.
rear 2 person Izusu Trooper seat mounted side ways and 3 person Chrylers mini van folding seat with tilt adjust and folds into bed or flat . installed with Uni strut channel to allow use of OEM seat brackets.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

I applaud your improv, nice work. =D> The style is not for me but the imagination works! I do things like this often and love the "you can't do thaaat!" [-X looks at the hardware or auto parts store. Rear hatch hydraulics to replace those on skylights no longer made, simple, straightforward and clean, goodies like that get job referrals every time.

If you found the bar made for this application what would the cost difference be?
Good thinking. :cheers:
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'93 cargo, work in progress